Another lesson

Hearing Martins tale of his loose tow bar reminds me of an incident which might (just, possibly, at a very outside chance) explain his problem. Many years ago I rebuilt my car. It was my pride and joy and nothing was too much trouble. I bought a new bodyshell and transfered everything over to it, rebuilding or replacing every single component. Of course I painted everything I could possibly get with at least one coat of hammerite. When the project was complete I had a car that was as good as new, probably better in many ways. Over the next few months, almost every nut and bolt came loose. After a while I realised that painting evrything meant that components were seating on a layer of paint rather than being bolted up to solid metal. As vibration and operating stresses arrived, the paint gave way leaving things loose. The repeated spanner checks kept me amused for weeks. I realise you lot will say I should have simply wiped the rusty patina with an oily rag but I still maintain the end result was better, once things had settled down that is.

John

Reply to
John

But.......

Both Martin's van and my van came out of the same factory (Luton) and were produced on the same line, but my towbar was fitted at the factory and Martin's wasn't.

The only difference, as they were both painted before the towbar was fitted, was the quality of the job.

Not having lockwashers of any kind is a No-No, and using internal shakeproof washers instead of a proper rectangular section spring lockwasher is almost as bad.

Nylocs would be even better, but there is a cost element involved, and properly fitted bolts with s/coil rectangular lockwashers etc should be more than adequate. Our other Renault van has now done 236000 kms and the towbar is still tight.

We use internal shakeproof washers up to M5, then we got to rect section spring washers after that up to M16, or Nylocs for certain parts/assemblies.

One other point, I don't know if having a long wheelbase van makes for less stress on the towbar compared with the SWB version, but both of ours are LWB.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Well I did say the presence of paint is a long shot. Perhaps the fitter painted the towbar :-)

I know what you mean about fitting spring washers or nylocs. I always prefer the former as I paint all my threads and mating surfaces with waxoyl to stop rust.

Regarding the stress variations due to wheelbase, it's all down to actual spring rate at the towball. If the springs are the same rating, a LWB will give the towbar and trailer an easier time. The worst thing you can do is tow a caravan with a lorry. Caravan chassis and A frames are designed for car or light van suspension. If the outfit hits a bump, the car suspension flexes to accomodate it. If the same happens with a lorry, the suspension doesn't deflect and the A frame flexes. This has led to cracking and breakages. That's why a lot of Landrovers owners fit spring mounted hitches.

John

Reply to
John

I've just transferred the towbar from my old BMW 535iSE saloon to the 530i estate. Went straight on BTW, despite absolutely everyone from BMW agents, towbar manufacturers & mechanics at the local trailer shop telling me that the estate floor pan was different between "F" and "K" and different again from saloon to estate. No, it's really not .......

The rear chassis rails and cross bar have holes in them with captive threads. No nuts required. The 530i holes had plastic plugs in them & I used the bolts wot came out of the 535iSE. They were zinc plated & dull oxidised, had flat washers on them & had been there for two years or so. Each bolt required some effort to wind it in & it was the same required effort on all of them from second turn to last.

I don't foresee any difficulties but I'll certainly keep an eye on it following this thread!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

John,

Paint is not the problem as the one thing this tow bar needs is a coat of paint because after less then three months its a rusty a hell. The reason the towbar was not factory fitted was because all Vauxhall could offer me was a swan neck and this would have meant problems getting ramps into my van because I could not fit the kit I made for the last one.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman