Before or after?

Hearing Martins tale of his loose tow bar reminds me of an incident

> which might (just, possibly, at a very outside chance) explain his > problem. > Many years ago I rebuilt my car. It was my pride and joy and nothing > was too much trouble. I bought a new bodyshell and transfered > everything over to it, rebuilding or replacing every single component. > Of course I painted everything I could possibly get with at least one > coat of hammerite. > When the project was complete I had a car that was as good as new, > probably better in many ways. Over the next few months, almost every > nut and bolt came loose. After a while I realised that painting > evrything meant that components were seating on a layer of paint > rather than being bolted up to solid metal. As vibration and operating > stresses arrived, the paint gave way leaving things loose. The > repeated spanner checks kept me amused for weeks. > I realise you lot will say I should have simply wiped the rusty patina > with an oily rag but I still maintain the end result was better, once > things had settled down that is. > > John

Raises an interesting (and on topic!) question which ISTR has been aired in SEM before:- Assuming one is sufficiently disrespectful of history to want to paint an engine (-; should one do so before or after assembly? (Please note smiley)

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H