another lesson learnt

A couple of months ago, I acquired an OS 48 Surpass from a guy in California in exchange for a new in box TT 50 heli engine (genuinely NIB, I had not
removed it form the box). I laid the engine aside once I'd got it, waiting for me to build my 4 Star. Now I've finally finished the model, I have found a few things wrong with the engine, first that the mounting holes have been filed out, but more seriously, the cylinder head is a right-off. The rocker cover was fine, but I removed it to adjust the valves and found that the front mounting screw fell out after one turn. The lug it screws into was cracked. I then found that the casting that the cam gear pivot is fastened to is also broken, though an attempt had been made to fix it with epoxy (!).
I now have to replace the engine (don't want to spend that much on a small engine), try to find a new head (out of production/stock everywhere I've looked so far) or abandon the model I've just spent 6 weeks building and covering.
The lesson I've learnt? THOROUGHLY inspect second-hand goods at the time of purchase!
I sent some pictures of the damage to the seller, but have had no response.
--
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
Was this purchase made on EBay?

California
found
been
rocker
(!).
of
response.
No, it was through RCU classifieds (not the new auction system). I don't want to name the seller as he seems to have a generally good reputation, he was very friendly in his E Mails and it may be that he was selling this on and unaware of the damage. I am prepared to give him a reasonable amount of time to respond before condemning him!
--
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
Considering the obvious problems hidden inside the engine, you'll get no response. You have been scammed. All you can do is plaster his name all over the forum or web site where you bought it from.
MJC

California
found
been
rocker
(!).
of
response.
Yes, a most hard plastering is called for, by all means.
Ed Cregger

waiting
fastened
small
I hate to do that, it always seems to reflect badly on the plasterer.
--
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
Now that you mention it, it does, doesn't it?
Ed Cregger

have
have
That's why I'd like to settle the matter privately, but if the guy won't respond, what am I to think ? Then again, if I go public and he's been out of town/sick/on holiday, whatever and returns to find me publicly insulting him, well..., I know what I'd think!
--
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
Further to the information below, I have now had a response from the gentleman concerned, predictably, he accuses me of damaging the engine myself, Quite frankly, in his shoes, I'd think the same (unless I knew the state it was in when I'd sold it!), so there is no redress. I have given away a brand new engine, plus postage across the world, in return for a worthless piece of junk. Lesson learnt. No more trades or internet deals for me.
I am now stuck with no only a worthless engine, but a new model I have built and nothing to put in it!
--
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.

Sorry to hear you got taken. Caveat emptor always, though. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
I can think of an ideal storage location for the engine, once he gets it. <G>
Ed Cregger

can
That is why I prefer EBay. Never been screwed, (but then never attempted to buy anything from anyone with a feedback rating of 30) Just my opinion. Bill

model,
right-off.
found
screws
much
at

Good point. Also, never buy without GOOD pictures. I buy engines on eBay, but only if the seller will take a closeup through the exhaust opening with the piston at BDC. Closeups of the whole engine work, too. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Must admit that all my experiences on E Bay are as a seller. No problems, but I sell only good stuff!
--
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
I have been both a seller and buyer on EBay and I am very happy with the service so far. I have bought a fair variety of stuff there with no problems.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

My wife and I buy and sell on eBay, and we've never been burned either way. One time I bought an item that the seller said the item was NIB. When I got it, I found it had been dropped and damaged (cosmetic only). I left negative feedback, never heard a reply, and bought a new part for it (minor cost). Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Did you attempt to contact the seller about this before you left negative feedback? Just curious. Bill

way.
got
negative

Absolutely, several times by e-mail. His reply was, "Tough s**t."
He never responded to the feedback.
The damage did not show up in any of the pictures. Of course, the engine WAS in a plastic bag when the pics were taken.
Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
I would have left him neg feedback too, along with contacting EBay. I bought a starter from a guy, received it only to find out it had a bent shaft. He refunded me the cost of a new motor unit. He obviously wanted to protect his perfect 100+ rating.

WAS
I would disagree about '30 rating policy'. I've bought some items from users with rating of 5 and they(users) were nice folks.On the other hand-bought one time a radar detector from a guy who had 160 rating with 100% posi. Item came in damaged and he just tried to give me run around.So I gave him negative feedback and problem was fixed.Right there. ASAP.I got full refund. <evil smile> Be careful with Ebay.Judge people by the way they answering emails.Thats what I do :) Have a good day. MittyMit

guy
NIB,
got
pivot