A Day Out

Gentlemen,
Today me and my Shadow (Dan) went in Dan's van to swap, deliver and see. The
first two items I will leave to Dan but the see part I can tell you about.
We visited a remote farm in the countryside some distance from our homes to
look at one of the biggest collections I have ever seen. All types of
engines, all sizes and some I have never heard of.
Now I've got you champing at the bit the pictures will appear in the usual
place on Wednesday.
Martin P
Reply to
Campingstoveman
It was a good day out wasn't it. I left my camera on the kitchen table :-( regards Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
Indeed a cracking collection...Pictures will be sorted tomorrow - by the time I had got the new Tangye pump out of the van and had some tea, plus a few drinks with Messers Gordons & Tonic the night is no longer young.... ;- )
Cheers
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
Pictures now up at
- this is only my selection, and only a small part of the collection - I was very impressed - at least SWMBO now agrees that I aren't that bad with only 25 engines...though the new Tangye pump that's now on the patio is already arousing suspicion ;-) Pics of that at
. It was at least swapped for a larger version that I had, that was just too big for me to handle - that's now gone to it's new owner as something for his 10hp Tangye oil engine to drive. Plus I got rid of the Stuart steam genny plant that's been in the conservatory for weeks... I must be in for some Brownie points!
Regards
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
Wow! Nice pics Dan. Like the pump too!
Regards, Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur G
Great picture's Dan ,
Intrigued with the Irish made engine (inver) , where was it made(north or south?) and who made it ?
Regards, John
Reply to
jdungan100
Hi Dan, I wonder if that Boulton & Paul used to belong to me? It certainly looks familiar, When I bought mine many years ago as one of a group of engines I thought it had been heat damaged so I sold it on. I found out that the paint finish was origional at a later date.
-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft
John, Sadly I don't know any more about the Inver apart from the card that was on it: Serial 104, Made in Ireland, one of two known. Does anyone else know any more about it?
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
To answer my own question - see SEM #318, pages 22-23. Made at the Inver Engine Works, Ballyloran, Larne from 1918, a Petter/Hamworthy based design.
A handy hint - the SEM online article reprint service is a handy, easily searchable index for the major SEM articles to save trawling through the paper indices.
Regards
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
I won't bother putting up my pics as you and I wondered around as if tied by string all day :-((
Martin P
Dan Howden wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
"Campingstoveman" wrote
string all day :-((
Aww! I was looking forward to those :-(.
What were you two wondering about anyway ? ;-)
Reply to
Arthur G
I know my spelling is awful Arthur but dont rub it in :-((
Pictures in usual place.
Martin P :-))
Arthur G wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
"Campingstoveman" wrote in
Thanks for the pics, Martin.
I woz only yoking M8 :-) _ _ Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur G
Martin,
Considering we both did walk around together, as always we both spotted different things. Thanks for the photos (though you always capture my bad side ;-)
Cheers
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
How long did the Ransomes Wizard run for?
Having read Philip's SEM articles on his one, I've always wanted to see one running.
Regards, Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur G
About an hour. You could hardly miss the start! As for bad sides; I see from the Internal Fire pics that I have a bald spot. Thanks Martin..... ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
You are both very welcome, you will be pleased to know that your bald area is no bigger than mine :-)) and Dan it would appear that I see things with a more cynical eye brought on by the major difference in our ages :-))
Arthur, I think I have a sequence of pictures which show the mayhem of starting the Wizard.
Martin P
Reply to
Campingstoveman
A fine set of pics my good man, nearly as good as mine :-))
Martin P
Dan Howden wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
This particular Wizard runs OK when started, but due to internal problems; probably a slight lack of compression, will not, under any circumstances, start on the handle....hence the arrangement with the JAP diesel donkey engine. When running, after the initial detonation/pre ignition has died away, they run with a Petter-ish sound, but the brass inlet valves on the crankcase, sort of spring loaded discs, can always be heard jangling away.
Regards
Philip T-E
Reply to
philipte