Recent Acquisition

A pleasant weekend - up early and 150 miles to Wigan before the traffic. Picked up a recent ebay purchase, a 1936 Bamford SD1 in wonderful original condition. This is a definite example of a preservation rather than renovation job - just needs a cooling tank and trolley making which are simple jobs - the engine runs very well and even has most of its original paint. On close inspection Bamfords were obviously painted after final assembly as there is paint all over the crank inside the flywheels and there are loads of brushmarks in the too-thick in places green paint.

Pics and a movie at

. There's also a couple of pics of how I move stuff around - I would recommend a cheap machine mart crane to anyone - it saves a lot of struggling. The tractor is a bit excessive, but now I've got it I wouldn't be without the ability to move a ton of iron with ease.

Another winter project - what does everyone else have planned?

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

On 6 Dec 2006 10:40:44 -0800, "Dan Howden" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I would think that a pipework polish and a wipe over with an oily rag is all that's needed - it's a real find!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Is anyone else having problems with this page? It comes up "not available"

Reply to
Dave Croft

As ive said before a nice engine Dan. Would of had it myself if I wasnt going after the Bamford SGA3 (which I thankfully won) on ebay a couple of days later. Am completeley out of money for christmas now though as ive also just bought myself a trialer at long last (another ebay buy).

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Just tried it again 1.75 hours later & now it works fine! I found a farm with one of these not being used 25 years ago. I couldn't get the farmer to sell & haven't seen any for sale locally ever since. Thinking about it, in the over 100 engines I have owned over many years I have never owned a running diesel. ( Apart from the Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI I just bought) 8^)

Reply to
Dave Croft

Looks good I cant wait to get our SD4 up and running, it also is going to be in its work clothes.

Regards bob

Reply to
Bob

Dan,

I had to go and lay down after watching that video, I got giddy :-)) As you know I also use an engine hoist to retrieve lumps from the back of my van except mine is mandraulic, its amazing what you can hang on a thread.

Reply to
campingstoveman

I managed to go for a nice drive into Derbyshire today to pick the Bamford SGA3 up and am very pleased with the enigne. All it needs is a repaint and a trolley making and it will be ready to rally.

I also came home with a other bits and peices and a rather sad looking Fowler 1PA which has been sat in the back of an open ended shed, for the last 20 years. Needless to say its not in the best of health and will unfortunately probably end up getting stripped for spares, especially as I currently need a couple of bits for my other fowler.

I will try and post some pictures later in the week of the 2 engines.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

I am now officially a pensioner & gosh it feels so different from Friday when I was simply unemployed ;o))

Saturday I celebrated the impending change by having a look at the Norman SC that I bought at Enstone. It was stiff to turn over in an "old oily" way and after several doses of Plus Gas in the plug 'ole, this rapidly changed. There was still little compression & it seemed more & more likely that the rings were stuck, but sticking a thumb over the exhaust port produced a jet of PlusGas and brown sludge out of the plug 'ole that went ten feet across the workshop!

Stuck exhaust valve then ;o))

Oddly enough, it was going up and down just fine & a bit of rotation & fiddling soon had it seating properly & now the compression is OK.

No spark, of course & not a thing to assault my shrinking pinky at the end of the nicely original armoured plug lead. The points were covered in oxide & this was removed & the points faced and adjusted. I am surprised to report that there is still nothing at all from the magneto, even removing the pick up brush and trailing a small screwdriver across the slip ring whilst cranking failed to produce the least tickle. The mag is visibly almost new & consistently clean and tidy within. Perhaps too many years of damp storage have done for the shellac - we'll have to see.

I've found it a ubiquitous ATCO cylindrical petrol tank and am looking into exhausts.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I presume Happy Birthday wishes are in order then.

ISTR from when I was unemployed that the government was very worried that I might do any work for which I got paid or would normally expect to get paid. That included charity work. I also had to sign to say that I was actively seeking work and prepared to take a job should it be offered.

Fortunately things worked out well for me, unlike this woman who had her benefits reduced.

think that's hilarious.

John

Reply to
John

As promised here are the pictures of the Fowler. I have completeley stripped the engine and it appears to have never been run. Everything (including the usually well worn out Mazak parts) are pristine. Unfortunately though due to it been in a poor external condition and also to a having a number of missing vital parts, plus a few parts which I am using on the Fowler which I allready own, it is only fit for spares.

If anybody needs any spares feel free to get in touch, otherwise they will most likely end up on ebay.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

I will post some pics of the Bamford SGA3 when i get a chance, as it is currently sat in a mates garage.