Toy addition - Another New-Way

Hi all,

Santy (as they call him over the water) has visited early this year and brought me another hunk of sorrow and joy, in the shape of a New Way vertical air-cooled, hit & miss gasoline engine. It has a base fuel tank and total loss oil system, fed by a sight oiler (not shown in photos) and I've not run it yet, though I'm assured it will run. It lacks various original bits (mixer, mag and muffler), which I am in the process of sourcing in the USA. As far as I can tell it is an F type, about 1916 in date.

It should have a paint scheme with approx John Deere green body with dark red flywheels. Plenty of lining and transfers were used and a similar engine in correct livery is shown.

It can be seen in the New Way Engines page at

(photos at end of page)

If anyone knows of a New Way owner, I would be extremely grateful for an introduction. I know there's at least one other of this ?F? type in the UK, as I came across a pic by Mr. Thornton-Evison in SEM issue 236 (Oct 93) seen at the Wiltshire Ag Preservation Group's 1991 Country Fair. Did you get more than one shot that day, Philip?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Stop Press. The latest New Way is a type M, not a type F as previously claimed.

Regards, Arthur G

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Does that mean Male not Female, how did you tell the difference?

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Simon,

I spent part of today scanning some old adverts of New Way stuff, and the comparison of various engine types made me realise that the M1643 number on the crankcase obviously denoted that this was a type M. The type F has a hinged crankcase a la the Bamford verticals. Interestingly, it also has valve cages, another Bamford trait. I am a Bamford fan, so this provides me with an interesting link between the two marques. Frank Zappa called it "conceptual continuity", but that's another story.

I'm also in contact with several people Stateside who are more in the know than me, and two outraged New Wayers rubbished my type F claims, after I had realised. Honest!

See the new picture in the album New Way engines showing a 1916 advert. Any day now, I'll know what the horsepower is. I've now got an instruction manual.

Regards,

Arthur G

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name
Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Arthur,

I love the bit in the advert that says " It isn't "cranky" like most gas engines" ! The advert page you put up really does show how even a small ad in a magazine or paper, can catch the eye.

The engine does look very nice and that cover at the top is definitely distinctive. I May be wrong, but it does look like the last owner painted it with a toilet brush!

I would love to hear of any progress on it.

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

I beg to differ, Simon, he painted it with a tar sprayer, like what they use on the roads :-). The thought of removing, what is for all intents and purposes, a layer of lava, doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

He's a nice guy and has been very straight with me, so John, please don't be offended.

Regards, Arthur G

I drive too fast to worry about Cholesterol.

message

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

hello arthur,

thats a very nice engine you got there . i wish santy had some room to bring me a nice o/c amanco!!! is it a rare enough engine? did you get it in wales?

anyhow -sin an scéal (to non paddy's- that means thats the story) lol all the best with it , john

Reply to
john dungan

John,

It's rare enough alright. I think there may be one other in the UK. See the end of my post.

You probably have loads of them in Ireland!