Stuart Turner P55MR

I ran accross a Stuart Turner P55MR 8HP for sale. The serial # is
25981. Can anyone offer any information on this engine. It appeared to
have some parts missing but looked to a good prospect for restoration
if spares are available.
I'm in the States and the owner is asking 200 US
Thanks,
don
Reply to
Don Ford
Serial numbers from my data lists a P55M, P55ME or a P55MC with serial numbers 25000-26999 June 1943-October 1949. Not sure what the R is reverse? Ian.
Reply to
kingsnavy
Thank you for your reply. Th engine does have a gearbox with reverse; could the R stand for that. I know nothing about these engines but would like to have it and try to rebuild it. Any advice there?
Don
Reply to
Don Ford
Hi,
For my sins, I've got several P55's of various kinds - two marine more or less up together and another in a lot of bits, one industrial complete with radiator etc that goes and another industrial engine bare.
I'd have thought $200 (say £130) was between about right if it goes OK and rather a lot if it is an unknown quantity. If it's a basket case, forget it, if it's missing any important bits like magneto, carb etc, leave it alone, it'll cost you as much again to find them.
Spares are not a problem, but are VERY expensive new as there is only one company with the franchise.
They are not an uncommon engine, lots of people I know have got them, but very few exhibit them. Thirsty, heavy and rather boring.
Just my opinion, you understand ;o))
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
J K Siddorn
HI, There is a manual for the S55 at
Don't know much about S/Ts and what the difference between an S55 and a P55 is if any.
Cheers Paul
-- ____________________________________
Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales
Paul Evans
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was never a S55? Ian.
Reply to
kingsnavy
"kingsnavy" wrote
Quite correct :-)
It is in fact for a P55MR - I'll change the Db entry.
Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales
Paul Evans
From the book:-
P5M & P55M engines with reverse gear P5MR & P55MR engines with reverse and reduction gear P5MC & P55MC engines ( no reverse ) and centrifugal clutch
Suffix E added to engines with electric lighting and starting e.g. P55ME
Paul