Something different ? - Stuart Air Cooled Twin

We have just acquired a Stuart Turner 1 HP air cooled opposed twin DC generating set. All complete and ripe for restoration.

Having trawled SEM back issues and Google etc very little information is to be found - in fact none! There is only one small mention in the SEM A-Z of these sets so I have put together a page of photos of our set, along with the only other photos I have from a similar engine on Ebay last year. (unfortunately I missed the outcome of the auction and the purchasers details but am sure someone on the NG gave us the heads up on this auction ??)

I wonder if anyone else has come accross one of these sets and can provide further information ? I may even get round to sending photos into SEM !

Regards David

Reply to
David McC

nice find, got anymore ;o)

ill keep an eye out for you. but this is the first ive seen. haven't personally ever notice engines on the rally field simular but theres always tomorrow, well thats my motto.

SEM sounds like ya best bet, david eddington might have some information on it? i doubt it though,

thanks, Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Butler

"David McC" wrote We have just acquired a Stuart Turner 1 HP air cooled opposed twin DC generating set. All complete and ripe for restoration.

I strongly suspect that this unit started life as an Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) designed to keep the batteries charged whilst the aircraft is on the ground. It's cast aluminium bed plate appears to have a ridge all the way around it and I think a sheet aluminium cowling might have originally fitted over it to provide some protection against fire hazards. I see likenesses in concept to the ABC flat twin, ABC Vee4, Triumph m/cycle based unit, the American Ranger, Homelite etc.

Early APU's were unusual and it is something which came into more general use as the WW2 progressed.

ST's made a flat twin to power a trench generator or pump in the First War and this one of yours looks little different with the spark plug poised over the valve!

- and that's about it, I'm afraid, I've nothing more concrete to add except to be envious ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

That is a very nice find indeed David, and even better it still has the dynamo attached. It will make a very nice restoration project. What voltage is the dynamo by the way, I couldn't make it out on the photographs.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

Thanks for the responses so far but for some reason I am not getting all the messages through BT, on viewing the group through Google there are a few messages that haven't appeared in my outlook so apologies to those who I haven't replied to. Any ideas why this is ? (BT news server dodgy ?)

The other engine on the page is the one Nick mentioned re. Ebay and I too downloaded the pics as it was something a little different at the time.

Hopefully more information will become available in due course and I will keep you updated on progress. Regards David

Reply to
David McC

snip

================================= Did you rec.the pics/info I sent off group ? Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Sorry Mike not received anything as yet, have emailed you off group. Regards David

Reply to
David McC