Petbow, 1-cy air cooled diesel genset

Hi All,

Newly registered today. In my search for a quality, cast iron, vintage, slow RPM, single or twin cylinder diesel powered genset I have this week acquired a very old and rusted Petbow AC generating plant, saving it from further degradation from exposed outdoor storage. I want to set one like this up to run 24-7 in an off grid rural application. The unit I have obtained looks like it can be restored if I can free the seized engine and cylinder damage from rust is not beyond repair. I am guessing that the engine on this thing is a Petter. The alternator that is dirctly driven at 1800 RPM is huge. The watt rating is ground off but the alternator specs that are known say 1800 RPM, 60 Hz. 110 volts. I am guessing the alternator is good for between 5-7.5 kVA.

I can send photos of the unit or of the nameplate as a jpg to anyone who may be interested in trying to help me identify this equipment to proceed with restoration. The unit is marked with a brass plaque on the alternator. Petbow Ltd, Sandwich, Kent, England. Type VK-4 79/R. It is mounted on a heavy four wheeled metal cart with a control panel pedestal on the opposite end from the engine. A lifting hook is provided in the approximate center of the unit just above the centrally located cylindrical fuel tank. The entire unit probably weighs about

900 lbs. (guess).

cheers, rcavictim

Reply to
rcavictim