Info on LISTER 303 SR1 .117 and starter drive specs?

on Saturdays my wife and I do Garage sales, and at one I picked up, all in pieces, a diesel engine that came off a logging camp 4 KW genset with the idea of using it to charge batteries at our Off Grid Ham Radio repeatersite.

It is a LISTER 303 SR1.17 6HP at 1800 RPM, Single cylinder diesel engine and I would like to find a (hopefully used) starter and ring gear, critical components for a remote start application. The engine is very similar in appearance to the Lister LV1, that I found information on in a Google search.

Vintage about 1970-1974 ?

The starter for this genset application was probably built into the 4KW generator body itself. The flywheel cover has a starter drive boss and one of my Google search hits referred to an optional reduction drive starter for the LV1-- probably made by Lucas (now Prestolite) in England.

There is also a possibility I could shrink fit another brand of ring gear around the flywheel and make an adapter plate on the starter drive boss to match, accept and engage a typical North American starter and drive but that's. obviously not my first choice.

Is anyone out there familiar with the SR1? What are the differences between an SR1 and a LV1? Is a preheater commonly used for these engines?

Thanks

Reply to
Spud

The SR1 wouldn't usually have had a reduction drive starter, more likely a direct-drive pre-engaged type along the lines of the Lucas/CAV M45G.

Be warned, very early SR engines, IIRC, had a different starter mount from the later majority, and the earlier type is almost unobtainable so some modification might be needed.

Reasonably so with the SR2 & 3

I'm not really familiar with the (more recent) LV1.

No, the usual cold start arrangement was an oil cup in the air intake. There is (when fitted) a knurled plunger above the intake port. The idea is to remove this plunger & pour a little fuel or oil into the cup which is revealed. Pushing the plunger back in injects the oil into the intake, thereby briefly increasing the compression ratio for cold starting. Not really needed for an engine in good order, except in very cold conditions. Difficult to do by remote control! :-(

HTH

Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Thanks Tim,

--- edited response & more questions--

Broken (vibration fatigued) bearing oil delivery tubes, are they a common problem and if so is there a mod?

As I said in first query, the engine is still in boxes, is the Lucas/CAV M45G starter normally CW or CCW rotation?

Not too worried about adapter plate for starter, still got the cutting torch, drill press and lathe from the farm.

For sub Zero remote start on the mountaintop I would then have to make another intake manifold extension body like I did for the Deutz F1L-208D (F one L) to hold a Thermostart and provide sufficient preheater fuel combustion volume in the manifold.

Spud

davidanderson at telus.net or

Reply to
Spud

Not so far as I'm aware (to both questions). Are they definitely broken? I'm not certain about the SR1, but various push fit arrangements have been used at different times by Listers, also split banjos & O rings.

Either, to suit the application. You should be able to work out the rotation of your engine from the shape of the fan/flywheel shroud.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

I've found the parts list now for the LR & SR *marine* versions. It's not a lot of help, but it does suggest that engines supplied to North America were fitted with an Auto-Lite starter rather than Lucas. The Lister part numbers (Probably no help at all ) are 201-15121 for anti-clock rotation and 201-15120 for, apparently, clockwise. I suppose Listers might be able to help with manufacturers' part numbers.

HTH

Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Thanks Tom; I had a good look at the engine, it originally coupled, flywheel end to the alternator which was equipped with engine starting windings, without the alternator (which was not recovered), The SR1 is missing the intake cooling air horn (that would fit up to the flywheel fan), cranking pawl nut assembly, and a handcrank. I think I can scour around farm tractor wrecking yards and come up with a starter, some older gas farm tractors (IH, JD, MH) had a CWstarter (view from front) mounted above the clutch throwout bearing area of the bell housing rather than CCW alongside the engine block, I'll bet we would find matching numbers as well. It would be nice to get a precision "turn down to" diameter for the ring gear fit to the 14" diameter flywheel, I'm quite certain that the presumably shrink fit ring gear needs a buttressing shoulder on the flywheel so it would have to be somewhat less than 14" diameter and have a matching tooth pitch to the CW starter drive. The ring gear will have to have it's teeth leading edge beveled reverse to the norm as well because the drive gear will index in the opposite direction from the norm.

I understand that quite a few Lister gensets were used in remote areas of BC, but my postings on the BC newsgroups have gone unanswered.

Spud: ve7ifd and that would be at telus dot net

Reply to
Spud