New-Way - Halting Progress

Those of you on the group for a while will probably remember various posts concerning my two New Way engines. I've been trawling for parts for some time, with relatively little success, but things appear to be looking up. My favourite of the two is the 1916 M type, a vertical hit & miss air-cooled of about 3hp. New Way were an American maker, based in Lansing, Michigan.

When I got the M type it was "equipped" with a horrible lawnmower carb and tank roughly attached. I felt I couldn't be bothered doing anything with it until I had a proper mixer (Stateside lingo for simple carb) and could get it feeding from the cast base tank (similar style to Petter M and S) again. Well, a mixer is in the post from the States and I've had a contact today for a muffler. The New Way mufflers are quite distinctive an I think this will enhance the look of the engine considerably. If I get these two items, then I will have an engine worth restoring. The magneto is non-original and a much later style than it should be, but I can probably live with that.

The business of finding people who know about New-Ways and can help with parts is slow, as they're not hugely common in the States and parts cost a lot of money if you're not careful. I've come into contact with a lot of helpful and pleasant characters who are happy to share their knowledge and photos. At this point I should thank our very own Colin Osborne for an excellent selection of New Way photos he took in the US.

I picked up a trolley last weekend which I can rebuild it on. I'm now getting quite excited about the project again, having mentally filed it under "Some time in the future" and I'd even stopped noticing it in the back of the shed.

Pics at

(New Way Engines album, nothing new in it since my last New Way post.)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin