more workshop clutter :-))

Evening all, another engine joined the ranks at the weekend but for a change it's not a dursley product. 5am sunday morning steve me and my mate simon headed off to andover to collect a Petter S powered saw rig. Arriving at 8.30 we were confronted by what can only be described as a chicken house on large wheels, but instead of fowl it housed a 5 hp petter S and saw table. The engine is in lovelly original condition with a liberal coating of oil and saw dust the only part suffering from the eliments being the rims of the flywheels which have some rust pitting. Loading went without to many problems although it only just fitted on the trailer with the cooling tank overhanging the rear, the main problem was this made the trailer a bit rear heavy, but off we went. After joining the A303 it was obvious that something would have to be moved as the trailer felt very unstable above 40mph, so we pulled into a back lane and had to unbolt the petter remove the exhaust and lift the engine off its mount to move it over the axle of the trailer, this done it was decided to remove the cooling tank and transport it in the back of the van. Success the trailer towed perfectly, upon arriveing home the engine has been removed and stored in the workshop with the saw rig dropped off at the farm untill we can get to restore it. The engine turns with compression and we have had the fuel system and lubricator working we've a bit of freeing off to do and hopefully she'll fire up. Steve's had the paraffin and paint brush around the one side of the engine today and the original paint is in great condition even the gold transfer is still in place on the fuel tank. We plan to mount the it on a temporary trolley and exhibit the engine in it's working cloths untill we can restore the saw rig and display the whole outfit in the working area.

Roland craven kindly sent me this info from the s/n. Sold several times returned a P L set. Sold second time may 33 then again 4/7/33 to best and co ltd then again on 27/7/37 to J armfield and co. Pics at

Regards, Gary

Reply to
gary millward

Obviousely no good if they had to try selling it that many times, but then some mug always comes along :-))

Mart> Evening all, another engine joined the ranks at the weekend but for a

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Martin for that comment i'm going to get the engine off my lawn mower to bring to stotfold :-))

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

On 21 Mar 2006 12:19:29 -0800, "gary millward" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

Shame you couldn't have brought the chicken shed, too!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Gary you should know better than to give me a loaded gun :-))

Mart> Martin for that comment i'm going to get the engine off my lawn mower

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Brian, we did were hopeing to restore the complete unit at some point.

Regards, Gary.

Reply to
gary millward

On 22 Mar 2006 00:16:01 -0800, "gary millward" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

That'll be an "interesting" transport problem, but at least you'll have somewhere to shelter if it rains!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Gary,

I've just seen your photos. Very nice indeed. It looks as original as you're going to find an engine of that age. Is there a maker's name on the saw?

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I'm hoping this Google post will work, as Wanadoo have stopped their news server. New ISP here I come.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Hi arthur, The previous owner said the whole outfit was built by a local blacksmith years ago from an old lorry chassis. The saw seems to have been made for the job, the bearings and table look to be part of a manufactured bench but have been fitted to an angle iron frame work to suit the chassis, I can't find any makers plate or numbers on the saw.

Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward