Air-cooled Fowler?

SEM dropped on my doormat today and in the ID&ASST section is an air-cooled diesel one of the few clues to which's identity is a patent number 531075. This, it turns out, relates to improvements in combustion chamber design and was granted to A. Freeman Sanders and Fowler of Leeds in 1940. So it could be a Fowler (though of course Freeman Sanders' designs were widely licensed) - but did that Co. ever make an air-cooled diesel?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Turner Diesels were involved in some way with Freeman-Sanders, and Bamford made the AC1, 2 and 3 air-cooled diesel, quite late in their life. I have a parts book here for the AC2.

John Fowler have a "1D" engine listed in the Bryce injection applications book, it would be approx late 1950's to mid 1960's range. I don't know if that one was air-cooled or not.

Nothing for John Fowler in the CAV applications up to 1961.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Full info on engine plate reads:-

PAT NO 531075 MODEL TYPE 1B. CAP 520cc RPM 1500 BHP 5 SERIAL NO 100460

Injection pump is CAV and probably the most distinctive feature is the finning on the cylinder which has a sort of 'honey pot' profile.

P T-E is sure Fowler never made an air-cooled engine and Dan Howden writes; "There was a 1B diesel marketed by Norman's in the early 1960s - this was built for them by the Bradford Diesel Engine Co (Formerly Gas engine co), whose cheif designer was Freeman Sanders"

Anyone ever had sight of a Norman 1B

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

If you could get the Des No (Despatch Number) off the pump, I could run that number down in the applications books and get a positive ID.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

Engine resides in the antipodes and there is no contact info given for the owner. I would imagine that PK/GW included all the info supplied by the enquirer in the ID&ASST piece.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

If it was made in the 60s why would the patent # be noted? The patent would have well expired by then.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Well, we did that a lot in those days, it didn't mean a lot but looked good :-))

One thing that did strike me, looking through the diesel catalogues, was that they were doing pretty well to get 5bhp at 1500rpm out of 520cc. A lot of engines of that time were struggling to get 6bhp at 2000 from a bigger capacity.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Interesting to note that in previous discussions on the Norman/Bradford diesels (yes, I'd totally forgotten that we had ever covered them before - hooray for google!) mention was made of the majority of examples being in South Africa.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

MAG (Motosacoche SA Geneve) made a small air-cooled diesel as well, I've just stumbled on a parts book I've had for some time, while looking for a Madison-Kipp lubricator manual.

Capacity was 577cc and 573cc for the two models, 11hp at 3000rpm and 15hp at

3000rpm respectively (DIN horses, being a little smaller than ours)

The parts listed is dated 1968, so probably a little too late for the one being discussed.

As Villers had an association with MAG, I wonder if they got any ideas for their own D270/D420 engines or vice-versa ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes