TIG water pump

I've an old Ideal Arc TIG welder. The water pump for the torch gave up the ghost. I can see the one on there was something the guy before me just had
around.
What kind of cooling water pump should a TIG torch have? Looks like very low flow, and not a lot of water pressure either.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, don't you have anything that doesn't breakdown on a weekly basis (:

I own enough equipment so that I can allways have something broken <G> I tell people farming would only be a part time job if it weren't for breakdowns.
Now, if you REALLY want to increase repair work, get a 20 year old to use all your stuff hard. I didn't mind when the TIG broke but he got a lecture before using my 10EE all day Saturday.
Thanks, Ernie L and others for the tip. I'll order one tommorrow.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

I hope you explained in graphic detail what would happen if he were to run the carriage into the chuck.
The only farmer I got to know seemed to have a buzzbox stinger grafted to his right hand.

Its a carbonator pump. You can find new ones at Grainger and sometimes on ebay. Small brass gear pumps work too. You need about 60psi.
I'm sure Ernie will chime in.... Marty

You need 50 psi water pressure to get the water through the head.
You can buy just the pump and build your own water cooler with a 5 gallon water bucket. Fancy Radiators and fans are not necessary unless you are doing welding in the 400 amp range.
These guys sell the pumps direct
Depco Pump Company 2145 Calumet St Clearwater FL 33765 Phone: 727.446.1656 800.446.1656 Fax: 727.446.7867
Business Hours: -Monday thru Friday 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM ---Eastern Time
Tell them you are interested in the constant pressure gear pumps used for welding water coolers.
They have an Italian brand that works very well called Fluido-tec.
Procon replacement Fluido-tec PA301X-100PSI $86.36
Oberdorfer 1000R-39 $139
These pumps require a 1/3 HP 1750 RPM motor
Anotyher source is Grainger
Product Category: Pumps & Plumbing > Pumps > Gear Pumps Description: Bronze Carbonator-Mount Rotary Gear Pump Head without Adjustable Relief Valve, 1/4 inch connectors
Your Price: $108.25 Grainger Item#: 2P381 Manufacturer: TEEL Mfg. Model#: CBN2 Catalog Page: 3270
www.Grainger.com
The pump model used by Tweco is: Procon #101C100F11B060 100 Gal per Hour @ 60 PSI

You need 50 psi water pressure to get the water through the head.
You can buy just the pump and build your own water cooler with a 5 gallon water bucket. A fancy radiator and fan is not needed unless you are welding in the 400 amp range.
[...]
Karl Townsend wrote:

According to various posts, mostly, Ernie L., the pump should be able to put out about 50psi to ensure that water gets through the lines. Flow is about the same as about a 1/8 solid stream from the tap. How's that for precise?
He posted a supplier here last week or so, with contact info that said...
---------------------------------------------------------------- You need 50 psi water pressure to get the water through the head.
You can buy just the pump and build your own water cooler with a 5 gallon water bucket.
These guys sell the pumps direct
Depco Pump Company 2145 Calumet St Clearwater FL 33765 Phone: 727.446.1656 800.446.1656 Fax: 727.446.7867
Business Hours: -Monday thru Friday 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM ---Eastern Time
Tell them you are interested in the constant pressure gear pumps used for welding water coolers.
I understand they have an Italian brand that works very well called Fluido-tec. ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Above was cut and pasted from Ernie's post.
Cheers Trevor Jones

low
I just checked the literature on my Weldcraft water cooled torch and it suggests that if city water is used, that it should be pressure reduced to 50 PSI maximum. I've always used tap water and run it to waste. As little as they use, it's a cheap way to deal with cooling. You might give that a thought. When I built my new shop, I even included a special 1" drain pipe at the welder to discharge the water, which ends up in our roof drain system, then to a catch basin. No mess, and completely out of sight. I use a tiny Watts pressure reducer to prevent over pressure.
Harold
Mine is also plumbed into ciy water .I have a 1/4 plastic hose to drain it outside .I never hooked up a pressure regulator to it I this is the first time I herd of doing that .My warer pressure is 70lb.The water only runs while your welding and a few seconds after you stop ,same as the gas. City water $1.08 per 1000 gallons.

it
time
your
$1.08 per

In my case I knew I'd have to use a regulator. Our water pressure was rocking off 150 lbs when I installed the machine. I finally had to regulate not only the welder, but the entire house. The pressure was so close to tripping the pressure relief valve on the water heater that it occasionally would leak.
If you're not having any problems with your setup, it's likely fine. I think by reducing the pressure you might use slightly less water, but considering the amount it takes, and the infrequency that we use our machines on a hobby basis, it could take the rest of your life to pay for the pressure reducer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Harold
I tried a few different pumps on mine before I found something that worked and was cheap.
I'm now using a peristaltic pump that does the needed quart per minute and can deliver the pressure. I picked it up for $3 at a scrap sale. I've also had good luck with a nutating pump before the seal failed on it. I was running a carbonator pump but it was putting out too much pressure and when the vibration from it blew out the regulator I was using I gave up on it.
The magic numbers seem to be 1 quart per minute of flow at 50ish PSI.
I imagine one of the belows type or piston pumps would do it too.
snipped-for-privacy@well.com says...

The carbonator pumps used on the Bernard coolers have a built in relief valve.
Grainger used to sell an small inexpensive (~$50) carpet cleaner pump that worked well in one cooler I built. I only see larger more expensive units in the current catalog.
I also used a diaphragm pump removed from the fresh water system of a large sailboat in a cooler. The 12V motor was replaced with a small gearmotor. That one ran for years with no trouble.
Ned Simmons

it
time
your
$1.08 per

I've got no idea what works in practice, maybe there is no problem.
As far as theory is concerned, you really ought to install a sediment filter when running the TIG off any municipal water.
Bob