Any Antique Tool People Here

I know that there are people who collect old antique tools. I've come across a Goodell Pratt No. 316 Automatic Chain Drill. What I'm wondering is how is the best way to sell this item. Ebay?

See a picture here:

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Interesting device.

If you were on this side of the continent and near Washington D.C.), I would suggest that you try the Patina tool collector's flea market and auction (already happened for this year),

However, you appear to be in the *other* Washington, based on your ISP. There may be a similar organization where you are.

However -- eBay will reach more potential buyers -- as long as it is well described and well photographed. Put up a blurry photo and a skimpy description, and it probably won't bring much at all.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I see it will handle drills down to 0 inches. Those must be easy to break.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yes, but very cheap to replace & everybody stocks them.

Ian Sutherland. (Oz)

Reply to
Ian Sutherland

Hey Richard,

Nah, I've never broken one, or even SEEN a broken one. On the other hand, if they mean an "O", then I'd change the chuck and get one down to at least 1/4".

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

eBay has kind of become the modern-day street price index so I'd watch it to see what they're going for. Here's the only one I can find listed now:

It doesn't look like it's going so well at this point but you can never be sure until the auction ends.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Chain drills are pretty common in the US. At general tool collectors' meetings, they'll go for $10-30 unless they're pretty special and in good condition, and sorry to say, yours isn't. I bought one in mint condition that isn't too different from yours for $20.

I suggest you put it up on ebay and take the family to Taco Bell on the proceeds.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Bergstrom

Yea, I know what you mean. I did find one on a web site for sale at close to $100. So I was dreaming, or maybe that guy is dreaming.

and search for GPDRILL316, it's about 1/2 way down the page. I'll put it on ebay one of these days.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

GPDRILL316,

"Hey, it could happen!" - popular lottery slogan around here.

:) Pete

Reply to
Pete Bergstrom