Mill/Drill for sale

This Jet mill/drill is a Jet JMD18. It has a 2HP single phase 220V motor with spindle speeds from 150 to 3000. The table size is 9 1/2" X 31 3/4" and has a travel of 20 1/2 ". The unit is completely new (never been used) and will include the following. 2 new clamping kits, 9 (new) assorted end mills,

5 new collets, a new vice, a new parallel set, and a new surfacing cutter and holder. The spindle taper is an R8. I'm selling it to help pay for a new boat. I paid $1853 plus freight and tax for the mill and vice alone Will sell all for $1400 and you pay for shipping. I live in central Texas and will haul it up to possibly 250 miles. Give me your E-Mail address and I will send pictures. David snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
Reply to
DAVID MC CARVER

Grant Erwin

Reply to
DAVID MC CARVER

This is an interesting question ... what is the long term value of import mill drills?

I happen to agree with Grant that 500.00, while probably a low offer, imay be much closer to reality than 1400.

My experience here in the Denver/Boulder area, we have several machinery dealers who routinely try to sell the import mill drills for 800.00-1000,00. As far as I can see, they don't get it... They do deal, and it seems that

500 -750 is realistic. Serveral mill drills come across the newspaper each quarter in the classifieds for 1,000 to 1200, but when I call a week to two weeks later, they still are not sold. At 500.00 I suspect they would.

A guy in Salt Lake City/Idaho Falls area was trying to sell his mill drill for severeal months here in this newsgroup -- I think I finally saw the price go down to 400. Still don't know if he sold it. I paid essentially zero for mine when I bought my Clausing Colchester lathe. The mill was thrown if for "free" (just take it)..... granted it was old, not pretty and was missing parts, (belt cover, handles, broken dials, etc), but a few weeks of cleaning and tweaking and it works great as a drill press.

My Burke Millrite, a true knee mill, with an 8x36 table, r8 spindle, single phase motor, cost me 800 bucks from a guy CA, and I hauled it back to CO in the back of my Tundra. (I wrote about my stupid mistake raising the knee off the elevating nut.. but it sure is working SOOOOO well now!!.... (boy, once you get used to a knee mill, NEVER will I go back to milling with a mill drill .)

MSC here in Denver had a customer appreciation sale and had a brand new one for 800 (new 1400). To be fair, it was a MSC brand, not a Jet, which may be worth little more.

So, what is the experience of this group when buying a used import mill drill? (And I don't really count ebay, because, sometimes, those prices are just plain wacko....)

Steve Koschmann

Reply to
Steve Koschmann

Local guy had a nearly-new Enco version of this machine for $400. That's a pretty good price in most markets, but no interest from the folks around here.

GTO(Jonh)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

800.00-1000,00.
Reply to
DAVID MC CARVER

I paid $500 for one. I wouldn't pay $1400 because I know they can be had for less.

Lane

Reply to
lane

About 7 years ago I bought a basically brand new Enco Mill/Drill with the american 2hp motor option and stand. I had to even clean all the packing grease off the machine. I also got a fair amount of R-8 tooling with the mill in addition to what came with the mill in the package deal. I used the mill a fair amount till I moved up to a Bridgeport and a large Cincinnati mill. I paid 700.00 for the Enco Mill/Drill. I sold the Enco, although I wish I would of kept it just for nothing else but a heavy duty drill press. I would say an otherwise like new Jet (sight unseen) is worth between

500.00 and 700.00. Its not been that long ago that you could get a new Enco or Grizzley for around a grand and that was with free shipping on the Enco.

tim

Reply to
TSJABS

Subject: Re: Mill/Drill for sale

Long snip.........

So, what is the experience of this group when buying a used import mill drill?

============= Well I bought a used but never sold Mill/Drill with direct drive.(no changing belts) It has two levers that pick the speed.. it also has nearly identical dims as the one for sale. It will run forward or reverse and has an American Pacific Scientific 90v motor. I bought it from the factory new for $500. They also included any new parts I felt it needed during the warranty.

I disassembled it completely to repaint it to match my new lathe. I hadn't noticed it had Metric leadscrews! The gave me new leadscrews, dials and then lowered the charge to $250 if I installed them myself!

I painted it and installed all the parts and it works beautifully! It holds .0005 easily. I have had it for two years now and crashed the motorized tables drive mechanism. I called the company and told them it was my fault and they sent me free a new brass gear that had sheared!

So Grant Erwin is right I have seen more of the mill/drills go for $500 or even way less down to $100!

BUT to be fair, the Jet for sale, is new and has a lot of extras. But I would say it would command a considerable more say $750-$1000. I would pay that if I wanted one, which I don't since I would have to paint it!

Jim xprtec (The new price on one like mine was $1695)

Reply to
XPRTEC

David, mine was just a knee-jerk reaction. If you pay $1700 new, how much of that is for the machine, how much for the warranty, how much for the dealer's reputation? I personally consider that HALF of the value of a new import machine is with the warranty and dealer's reputation.

After that, I have owned several Jet machines and know that while they usually have a nice paint job they are often still fairly crummy machines compared to quality industrial machinery, and Jet often drops parts support after just a short time.

I really don't have anything against YOUR mill-drill. But I think your price is too high. Not my problem, right? Well, I see a whole lot of outrageous prices and sometimes I just have to say something about it.

Right now I don't know how things are in Texas, but used machine tools are going *cheap*. Like pennies on the dollar. 50% of new is huge dough. 25% of new is a pretty good deal for the seller. 5-10% of new is more like it.

I'll bet that with careful preparation, a week or two sitting by your phone, and about $50-100 in classified ad placement money, you could get more than $500. Maybe up to $900 if you find a real motivated buyer. No one knows you. You aren't offering any warranty. No one knows the history of this machine. Frankly, why would someone do a deal like this for $1400?

Grant Erw> What do you have against this tool? Dave

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The key here is finding a local buyer. If the buyer has to pay shipping, that makes the differential between a new and a used machine even smaller than it already is.

Also a personal inspection of the used machine goes a long way to easing the warranty issues.

Jim

jim rozen

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 05:09:29 GMT, "DAVID MC CARVER" brought forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, Grant. I happen to like Ronco mill/drills. ;)

(Or was that Rong Fu?)

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's nothing wrong with a Jet mill/drill. It is a Chinese copy of the Taiwanese RF30, painted white. You might get half what you're asking, mainly because of the extra tooling you have. That's because a new RF30, in gray, from other vendors is often on sale for just under $1,000, and actual knee mills of similar capacity are selling for under $1,000 on the current used market. You can't seriously expect to get more for a used (even if it is as new) mill/drill than you'd get for a real knee mill, even if the mill/drill is painted white (a color the Chinese associate with death).

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman