Hello, Krylon, Wal-Mart, and Math

Hello all,

I'm a recent BAR after ~17 years of not giving rockets a second thought. I got back into Estes A-D and am enjoying it "again for the first time".

First of all, a big thank-you to those here who have contributed tips, tricks, hints, and suggestings for gluing, filling, sanding, painting, etc. I have spent *many* hours reading posts on rmr and have benefitted greatly from the community wisdom.

I used Krylon for my first round of kits and am pleased with the results, but of course am looking to improve. Based on previous threads I have decided to put on additional coats of primer- I was only using two, which can yield a "nice" but not "show off" finish.

But I'm also trying not to break the bank, so I was tempted by the 94 cent ColorPlace brand at Wal-Mart. Then I noticed that the coverage area advertised for the 10 oz. ColorPlace was 10 sq. ft. and the coverage area for a $2.37 can of Krylon 12 oz. was 25 sq. ft., making the per-sq-ft price almost equal.

Yeah, I know this isn't an earth shattering revelation, but if the coverage area is accurate what possible motivation is there for the house brand? I've used both and Krylon is better.

One last thing- does there exist (or is there interest in) a website where beginners could post, for example, a macro picture of a nosecone with an imperfect finish, and then get commentary from the veterens as to possible causes and solutions.

In concluion, happy flying!

Reply to
Rodel Mocket

The average American cannot do math and does not look at the value of a product as you did. They look at the lowest retail price. I said "average". I did not say "every".

Large files can be loaded onto the Yahoogroup called A.B.M.R. or they can be posted as messages (attachments) in the newsgroup a.b.m.r.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I would be hesitant to use Colorbase brand, or any other generic brand. But it doesn't mean it would work okay, even though it cover less area. Do a test on a small rocket.

I have used Krylon on all my rockets so far. I have had good luck with it. I considered cheaper paints, but I stayed with Krylon, since my past experience with it has been good. And like you pointed out, not much of a savings

Now I will be moving into auto paint, so I can use all this painting equipment I have just laying around in my garage. The economics of larger rockets make it more favorable for me.

KMJK= (WAY) above average in math, according to Fred Shecter :-) Just...couldn't.....RESIST!!

"Krylon, Wal-Mart, and MATH, oh MY!"

Reply to
Karl Martin Joseph Kowert

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Try

can ad pics to your post, no need for seperate groups. And your threads will stay on topic too!!

Reply to
Dlogan

Welcome to rmr!

I've tried most of the brands and always come back to Krylon. It's not that much more, considering all the work that goes into a decent rocket.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

threads

Reply to
Dlogan

Most people including me do not have usenet access to abmr.

Ya I know yahoo, but might as well email me the photo and have it on a website and URL that never expires.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You can get a connection to abmr through teranews.

There's a one-time $3.95 setup charge but otherwise free.

Ad Astra! Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist