Krylon Fusion primer and paint

If you've not used this stuff... go buy some and try it out. I have Krylon Fusion white primer and Krylon Fusion black primer. The deal is that Krylon has figured out how to get paint to bond molecularly with plastics and resins. To put it briefly, it makes a very durable surface on which to paint. For you resin guys (me included) that means that it adheres very well, doesn't flake..all that good stuff.

I don't care for rattle cans in general, so I shot the black primer into an empty jelly jar, let it de-gas for an afternoon (lots of propellant still in the paint, which can be a pretty rude awakening when you do open that jar.. and find the contents under some pressure)

I shot the black primer, without diluting it further, at about 16-18psi. It lays down very very nicely, and really snuggles into all the details and stuff.

Also get this... I painted the interior of a fuselage with the black primer, then laid down a layer of Floquil interior green over that. When I went to scrape the fuselage joints prior to gluing, the green came off in one swipe of my scalpel. To get to bare plastic, I had to do many swipes with it; in retrospect, the Fusion probably would have bonded with ambroid. But as usual, I wasn't thinking.. I scraped down to bare plastic.

Anyway... try this stuff!!

--- Stephen (who doesn't work for Krylon, but if you hear about them having any openings... grins)

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Lol...found that out the hard way! Painted me, two models, the work bench, and the living room carpet! Needless to say, my wife was NOT a happy camper! Mike

-- Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Reply to
Mike G.

Sounds interesting, have to give it a try. It worked pretty well on the vinyl patio chairs I painted...

Reply to
Don McIntyre

IIRC it's marketted as the solution to painting that soft vinyl plastic that is the natural enemy of paint. I've had mixed results, some things it bonded well enough with and others it flaked off as fast as regular paint.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

While I have used it, I prefer the Krylon Sandable Grey primer. It is REALLY loaded with solids, and is great where you need to fill sanding marks or small gaps. It is a lacquer-based product that has a lot of tooth, but it will not melt styrene. I learned about that stuff a number of years ago from this group.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Where exactly did you find the mention of "molecular bonding"? I went to Keylon's website and didn't see anything on this under the Fusion paints.

If that was really true and it bonded to flexible vinyl and plastics like Delrin, that would be a great news. But I would like to see something concrete about this before I buy a can and get dissapointed.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I can't find where I saw that... closest I got was this site:

Try it out some time.... worse case scenario is that you're out $5 or so. Good luck!

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

i don't know how it bounds nor dilligaf. for me the fact is the stuff works. as a trial, i painted a plastic motorcycle fender on a dirt bike. the bike went to utah where it was road hard, put away dinged. you can rub the paint off on rocks, but none of it peeled, flaked, or came off. the bike sat in 110f heat for days....

Reply to
someone

Do it outside, away from anything valuable and wear eye protection... personally, I'd toss the can and buy a fresh can. I don't like paint explosions... Well I am imprecise here...I've never been in one, but from what i hear,I don't like paint blown all over the place! Good luck though.

---Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

dilligaf...lol...rotflmfao!

Reply to
TF

Nope. Believe me, you really, REALLY want to drill a hole first, then shake.

Don't ask how I know that....

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

whys that, spot?

Reply to
someone

When you shake the can, the pressurized propellant mixes with the paint. As long as the can is closed, the pressure keeps the bubbles in, but as soon as you've drilled the hole, all the tiny bubbles expand at once and the paint foams the hell out of the can.

Now, if you're looking for a quick method to paint your locker/workroom/basement/garage/whatever, that's the way to go. Just remember to kick the cat out.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

I'd try putting the can in the fridge or freezer for an hour first. That should reduce both the pressure and the likelihood of having paint blown all over the place.

Instead of drilling a hole, I use a large blade screwdriver to pry up the lip around the nozzle. When you've pried it up far enough to break the seal, the pressure will be released, and you can use pliers to finish prying off that cap. It takes longer, but you won't have to strain drill shavings out of the paint.

Or you can use a hammer and a nail to punch a hole in the top. Just make sure the can is held securely so the force won't knock it over. Use a small nail to make the initial hole, and a thicker nail to widen it enough to pour the paint out.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris