Krylon Primer & Krylon White

Krylon gloss white (not Fusion) seems to be adhering extremely well without primer. I'm doing 1500 grit wet sand between coats. I love the way it looks after Micromesh polishing. I'm very happy with the color and the luster. It's perfect.

The parts I have sprayed over primer are not so durable. Krylon primer seems to be enabling a layer of weakness more than anything. I have test parts painted Krylon white with and without primer. It's real easy to get a fingernail in these primed parts and take a chunk of white out of it while the non-primed parts require a lot of effort to make a chip in them.

I'm planning to go ahead and get the primer off of the parts. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do it. It's a 1997 Bandai plastic model. I guess I can't use chemicals for this job.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

yet how I'm going to do it. It's a 1997 Bandai plastic model. I guess I can't use chemicals for this job.>>

I don't know that bandai kit plastic is any different than any other, so... Give a piece of sprue a good spraying with oven cleaner (cheap stuff is fine) and see what happens. If there are no ill effects, soak the painted parts well and let them set overnight, then give them another shot. The paint will come off with a light scrubbing with an old toothbrush.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Thanks. Oven cleaner is something I haven't tried before. I have done the toothbrush thing though. I hope it won't saturate the plastic & require lots of time to air out.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

The primer looks awesome when it goes on. It was very inspiring. It had me wishing that this model was flat gray it looks so good. I can't use it though, if it's going to reduce the durability of that awesome white paint.

The white stuff takes a lot of sanding to keep orange peel down, but it seems to be worth it. I'm definitely going to keep trying to forge ahead with this model using Krylon white.

That's the weirdest thing... primer making the paint that goes with it less durable.

Reply to
jdb

I haven't tried the primer but the colour coats with Krylon have been very good. It's allowed me to expand the range of shades in my cars and the white hasn't yellowed...yet.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I meant 1000 grit. I bought 1500 and 1000. 1000 is the one I've been using between coats. 400 grit for some stuff, but 1000 is doing the job for almost everything.

David

Reply to
jdb