Q: Use Krylon instead of DullCote?

Since I have not yet taken the plunge (financial or skill-wise) into airbrushing, my weathering get done with chalks and drybrushing. DullCote (so I've heard, and experienced a bit myself) tends to "hide" chalks so that you have to over-weather, and guess how much it will tone down.

I happen to have a spray can of Krylon matte finish which seems to be intended for sealing artwork and projects, which makes me think it might be less likely to mask chalks (it also has the advantage of being low-odour -- I think it's an acrylic). A test spray on some scrap styrene, which I had smeared with scrapings from artist pastels looked OK. But before I squirt this stuff on my nice Atlas GP7, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? In particular, whether it works better on chalk weathering.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Watson

Krylon matte finish is a good paint, however, any large spray can is hard to control, volume, etc. when dealing with a model. An airbrush is the correct tool for a paint job. If you don't have an airbrush you might try and locate a scrap engine shell and see if the large spray can will do what you want it to.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Says who?

I use spray cans. Always have. They work for me.

All the models seen on my web site that are not "stock", were painted using either a spray can, or a brush.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Everyone is different, and I have heard of MANY people getting very good results from spray cans. Brushes also work fine, too. It all depends on the modeler's technique.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

The Krylon might react badly with the plastic. I use Grumbacher matte finish which cann be found at art supply stores. It too comes in a large spray can and will give you good results. I've used Krylon oxide red primer on resin kits with excellent results too.

Reply to
MGuill1224

I agree...the key is to not apply too heavily. I paint alot of my stuff using cans because it's so much easier, if I can find the right color anyway ;^) Heck, I have better luck with spray cans than using an airbrush anyway.

Reply to
me

Those that want to use Krylon with an airbrush can use a trick that people used for Dullcote before it was available in bottles. Let all of the gas out of the can. then punch a hole in the bottom of the can with a nail. Be sure to cover the can with a cloth when you drive the nail into the can. Then pour the contents into a bottle and use your airbrush to spray the Krylon. It should not need to be thinned.

John Slean

Reply to
John Slean