Recommendations for Tamiya Spray Can Replacement

While most of my painting is done with my airbrushes, when building autos I often rely on Tamiya's lacquer-based rattle cans (Tamiya Color). I love the product as it does a fantastic job, however, those 100ml cans are small and at $5.00 a pop, they aren't the most economical paints around. I know that many of you auto builders use various canned auto body paints and other canned lacquers that aren't too "hot" for models. I would appreciate any recommendations for such paints. In fact, any recommendations on an economical canned primer would be helpful as well.

As always, thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
MGlantzMN

Go to your local PPG/Ditzler auto paint store and tell them what you're doing. Most of the personnel I've talked to are helpful as well as intrigued (most of them have done a model or two.) They'll doubtless reccommend something you'll like. Personally I'd go for airbrushable model paint for the economy. Floquil railroad paint is great stuff. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I've tried Dupont Centauri, Dupont Lucite and Duplicolor. They're all a major hassle even though it is possible to make them work. You've gotta use a respirator, do countless primer dust coats and then you're still walking on eggshells with the color coats. The Centauri and the Lucite were delayed disasters with everything looking good to begin with only to find out that it's all crap later down the road.

You're looking for something less expensive than Tamiya TS paint. I don't think there is such a thing in auto paint. But, Krylon Fusion works. After two coats have dried, it is ready to be Micromesh-ed. Limited color range though.

Closer to the auto paint stuff... Duplicolor is the only thing I am seeing people having success with in the FSM forum.

Perfect paint jobs can be done with enamels and Micromesh. That's why I don't really get into this stuff anymore except for when it comes to doing a white car body. White gloss... I'll use Krylon Fusion.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb