How do I make Bakelite?

This bakelite stuff is cool. I haven't been able to find any directions or a real list of ingredients. I thought maybe someone knew somthing. Any info will be appreciated, Bernard

Reply to
bernard shaw

I think it was made using some sort of resin and paper, heated, under pressure, between dies.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

carbolic acid and formaldahyde. nothing I'm going to mix up in the basement!

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

See:

KTØT

=>This bakelite stuff is cool. I haven't been able to find any =>directions or a real list of ingredients. I thought maybe someone knew =>somthing. => Any info will be appreciated, => Bernard

Thermosetting plastic made of formaldehyde and something else -- not something I'd advise anyone to make at home, or even in the average high school lab without expert advice and supervision. When cut, drilled, etc, it can release unpleasant gases and dust, both of which are toxic. To make shaped parts out of it requires rather complex machinery involving heat and pressure. It's not like the casting resins used in resin kits, and which can be used by the average modeller.

IOW, beware.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir