An-22 monster

Has anyone here been lucky enough to put his hands on one of these? I really would've settle for an 1/144 or even 1/288 replica...

Seb

Reply to
Seb

I know of several ppl:

Ken Duffey has a full build review here:

Meindert de Vreeze has his build review here:
I got one stashed away for when I retire in about 30 years :)

Reply to
Nemesis

Ah yes it's a limited production item. Of interest to me, having become a collector rather than builder... I noticed for the first time, with all those top-down photos, that the An-22 has a rather small wing for its size?

Seb

Reply to
Seb

Are you talking about the 1/72 scale one? One of the guys in my club (IPMS NoVA Modelers) brought one in to the meeting several months ago. It definitely is, well, BIG!

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

Clarification: it's A-model's 1/72 An-22 I'm talking about of course. Terranova has a picture of a camo An-22 but all the kit pictures have a civil (or non-camo, anyway) scheme. Does the kit offer a camo scheme?

Seb

Reply to
Seb

Mine has just thje markings Ken and Meindert used. No Camo markings.

Reply to
Nemesis

Only one An-22 was camo'd - CCCP-09309.

It differs slightly from the kit in that it had 'boxes'on top of the undercarriage sponsons containing chaff/flare dispensers - should be fairly easy to make from plastic card.

The Amodel kit does have a drawing of the camo scheme in the instructions - but it is so badly reproduced as to be virtually unusable.

Apart from Red Stars - it appears to have no other markings.

I dug out a few pics of the camo'd machine with the idea of painting mine in camo - but I gave up. There are just not enough pics available to give a definitive all-round view of the camo pattern.

Do a search for the An-22 at Airliners.net :-

You'll get some nice An-22 pics - including the camo'd example at Tver - but you'll have to fill in the blanks yourself.

Also check out 'Antonov's Heavy Transports' by Gordon & the Kommisarovs

- No 18 in the Red Star series - ISBN1-85870-182-2 - it covers the An-22, An-124, An-225 & An-70.

Finally, check out my An-22 build at :-

Hope this helps.....

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

I remember seeing one of the real 1-1 scale ones back in 1986. A friend and I were attending the Air Show at RAF Farnborough ahd watched the An-124 blow an engine as it was taking off on press day (the first day of the show). On about Thursday afternoon, as we were waiting on the train platform, we saw a gray/white An 122 coming in low and banking to make the landing pattern. It was delivering a new engine for the Condor so It could fly on the "public" day on Saturday. Even at a couple thousant feet above our heads, it was a damn big aircraft!

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

I remember seeing some pics of the camouflaged An-22 somewhere... if I'm not wrong it operated from the Kabul airport (that would explain both the chaff/flare dispensers and the camouflage).

I'll see if I find something usable in my books/magazines...

Reply to
Yuri

I wasn't there - but that An-22 made a BIG impression at Farnborough !!

Apparently he left the runway on landing, skidded across the grass, corrected it and came to a halt in a cloud of smoke and grass clippings.

There was talk of it being vodka-induced, but I don't know. There are photos somewhere of the incident.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey