Old Sears Welder ?

I believe someone recently mentioned that their welder was an "Old Sears" model.

A friend of mine has an old Craftsman that seems to work well on the receptacles that are not loose. Someone backed into it and messed up several of the sockets you plug the leads into. However, it works well on the ones that you can plug into.

Model 113.20241 Made by Simpson-Sears, LTD. but wearing the Craftsman name. I just tried to locate the parts for it and they are listed along with a diagram at sears.com -- BUT UNAVAILABLE!

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

Emerson actually made it for Sears. You can try them for parts, but these things are getting up there in age and are from a company that didn't make lots of welders.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

You can buy these sockets as a repair part at welding supply houses and other places besides Sears. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

bet you friend could make or improvise for the needed parts.. if it metal just machine some new parts... if plastic then mend the cracked parts with some epoxy,etc... or look for other elec. welder parts that might be adaptable to his needs...how about looking for a diagram of a newer sears electric welder and compare them....

Reply to
jim

Thanks. I'll pass the word. It would probably be best for him to take the end off one of the leads and carry it with him to be sure he got the right size. These seem a bit small compared to some I've seen.

Actually, the Sears diagram seems to show them being in blocks of four, properly spaced for the face of the machine. There were four sockets on either side with two range plugs in the middle. So there'd be 16 different temperature settings for the welder.

Unless it was misread (part of it was very light) the very large and informative name plate said, "Limited Input AC 230 Amp Arc. Welder" and

-- ON THE SAME LARGE PLATE -- further down "Welding Range 20 - 180 Amp." :-)

Al

=================

Gary Brady wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

I'll pass the word. He's not a welder. I think someone gave it to him

-- after it was backed into. Probably a tax right off, or insurance claim for them. I doubt he'll spend much on getting it fixed, but may check on the availability of replacement parts from another source -- or leave it as it is.

Thanks for the suggestions. He's not on the net, but I'll try to find another Sears diagram and see if they might adapt.

Al

jim wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

Sounds like the same basic transformer that I have on an early '60s Emerson welder sitting in my garage. Mine has the high low range but a sliding contact to select the 8 heats. Pretty bulletproof, mine is still going strong.

If it has parts similar to mine, the jacks are an odd size. You can easily convert to those available at any welding shop (Lincoln standard IRRC) but at $7 each, it would get to more money than the machine is worth.

Al Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Roy J