OT - Halliburton and Taxes

Guess how much Halliburton (Owners and Operators of the Halliburton War in Iraq) pays in taxes? I'll bet they give the Republican Party much more in contributions.

Regards,

Marv

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Run for office and get the tax laws changed.

Gary Repesh

Reply to
GJRepesh

Question #1 Is it legal?

Question #2 Would you do it to limit your tax liability?

Question #3 Is it Moral?

Question #4 Would you do anything to limit your tax liability?

Question #5 If you were a stockholder, would you hire a CEO/CFO that maximized your profits by legal means?

Question #6 Is Halliburton a Public company?

Question #7 If someone offered you $100,000 in Haliburton stock, would you turn them down, or immediatly sell it and buy T-bonds at 3%?

Be honest now.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

I am honest - I'm not running a war so I can grab the oil! C'mon, Gunner, that's the reason we are in Iraq.

Your questions still does not answer why a humongous company with billions in revenue and favored friends in Washington and a massive inability to keep their records straight pays less taxes than Joe Donut, Inc.

Regards,

Marv

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Cites.

So your refusal to answer the questions (and apply the answers to Haliburton) is noted.

Btw..you might find this of interest:

Just out of curiosity, how many people does Haliburton employ?

Dont forget their subidiaries, such as Kellog Brown and Root, Dresser Industries, Haliburton Energy, etc etc.

Do any of those employees, from the broom pushers to the CEOs pay any taxes either?

What about those companies which vend to Halliburton? And their employees?

Hummm isnt Halliburton the company that is hiring truck drivers for Iraq at up to $100,000 a year? I guess they dont pay any taxes either. Right?

You going to answer the questions below or simply avoid the implications?

LOL

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner: I simply do not have the time to diddle the computer and go looking for "cites" that fortify my position. I am of the opinion that the "war on Terrorism" manifest by the totally unwarranted attack on Iraq is about oil. Halliburton is a heavy in the oil business and its ties with Cheney and Bush go back many, many years. Bush is settling an old family score with Hussein, Cheney is guiding the "war", Halliburton is making obscene profits from it.

This scenario is not new - WWI was owned and operated by Krupp of Essen for Krupp of Essen. Iraq is a modern version.

Regards,

Marv

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Heh. The implications are clear to anyone who will open their eyes. Haliburton and subsidiaries are getting a sweetheart deal and they know it. The deal has to do with cheney et al.

Your position is that corporations should not pay taxes. Right?

Jim

jim rozen

Once again..an opinion, a biased one, is again noted.

Did you read the questions I asked? Need me to post them again? Want to take a shot at answering them?

Btw..what is your opinion on the Loral Group?

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Ah but the question was evaded.

Do You Think Corporations Should Pay Taxes ?

Jim

jim rozen

Of course! If taxes are mandated, then all who are required should do so. But I also believe that if there are legal methods to reduce anyones tax burden, they would be crazy, and doing a diservice to their stockholders not to use them.

If you dont like those legal methods, then change or remove them.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Then, we should change the tax laws, so that corporations should pay the same rate as individuals?

Jim

jim rozen

The implication was there. Especially in politics, things can get pretty riled up. Easy to step on folks toes.

Jim

jim rozen

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:41:33 GMT, Sue brought forth from the murky depths:

Y'mean "epitaths"? I got you dead to rights on that one, Sue.

Verily.

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Wondrous Website Design =================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You did? How so? Marv wrote "epitaph". I wrote "epitaph" and you made up some word. What in the hell is an epitath? Some metalworking term? I don't have the best dictionary so maybe I should get a better one to find your word. I could drag out the old 1913 edition Funk and Wagnells. Maybe epitath will be in that one. Sue

Reply to
Sue

What implication?

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

I dont know Jim, I really dont know enough to answer that. I do know that even if the corporations had to pay more taxes, they would simply pass them on the the consumer, which would raise the price of goods and services even more.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Wait a minute here, Gunner............

I have always been under the impression the corporation is a legal entity, designed mainly to absolve personal responsibility in the event of insolvency...for all practical purposes, a "person".......Someone to sue, so that the loss is distributed equally to the shareholders of said corporation rather to any single individual......

First off, I wonder why is it should a corporation enjoy shielding from taxation above what an individual owner would have in the first place ??? A corporation in and of itself is little more than a business having multiple persons as owners......

And who is to say an otherwise viable corporation would " pass along" costs to the consumer--wouldnt it be entirely as feasable that a truly successfull company, whether incorporated or not might forsake huge profits for the shareholders, salary for the executive board or owners and simply opt for long term growth and modest profits even in the absence of substantial tax breaks ???

There are many small corporations today doing exactly this.......

Once again, I find myself speculating on what might happen, if what hasnt happened had........and you stating as to what might happen as if it was a sure thing.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

But I could make the same bald statement about me. (and I am far from bald!) If I had to pay *less* in taxes, then I would have more money to buy goods and services, and that would be a good thing for the economy! So zero taxes for us all! That would be the *ultimate* stimulus program.

Now wouldn't that be silly. Taxes are there so that services can be provided by the govenment. If nobody paid, then how could companies like Cisco and GE run a business - no roads, no infrastructure, that sort of thing.

Theory: If companies like Cisco and GE are *using* the services that government supplies, should't they be paying their fair share for it?

Jim

jim rozen

It's a "homophononyme."

Jeez. A smart person like you getting her linguistics education on a *metal*working newsgroup?

Jim

jim rozen

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:03:30 GMT, Sue brought forth from the murky depths:

Oops, "epitaph" is correct. I've been spelling and pronouncing that word wrong all my adult life. I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)