How to ID 4130/4140

I'm wondering how I might be able to id some steel. I have a few piles of misc drop offs etc that I've collected over the years and am wondering if I have any 4130 or 4140.

Or is it even possible?

Lane

Reply to
Lane

You should learn about spark testing. Get some 1018 steel (ideally not just a piece of random auto remelt as is sold, get some that is actually 1018) and then get some tool steel like A2, and in a semidark room grind the ends so you can watch the sparks. They will look very different. Then grind a piece of cast iron, and it will also look very different. On the ferrous metal range, this about spans it. You will learn how to tell *approximately* how much carbon a piece of steel has. But to differentiate e.g. 4130 from 4140 would take a metallurgical lab IMHO.

Grant

Lane wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Lane" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Helpful hint for future: Grab up some UniPaint? markers your local office supply store. When you put a piece in the 'shorts', pile, write the type of material on it. Our jigs shop does this, even with plastic. Sure helps when you go over to the pile looking for something.

Reply to
Anthony

does this, even with

That would help if I knew what it was to begin with. Most of the time I do not.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Grant Erwin snipped-for-privacy@kirkland.net

Yes. Spark test with samples to tell some differences. (I can identify cast iron and HSS.) but I think the poster was trying to isolate these approximate two from mild steel. They'd have a bit more spark, I suppose. They can be hardened.

Sometimes you can (mostly) identify by form/where-ya-found-it.

Once you put it into "your stuff," it gets used (or thrown out) depending on how it cuts/welds/drills/etc.

Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Yes that is true. My goal here is to make a sway bar for a '75 Postal Jeep, in trying to tame the beast. These are well know for not handling very well.

I've read that 4130 or 4140 is the most used steel for sway bars. I was thinking of welding some arms on a bar. There isn't a whole lot of wheel travel involved on this vehicle. I'm even thinking of using a bigger bar of mild steel. Anything will help this, it corners like a lead balloon.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Ah. If you weld that stuff make sure to use low-hydrogen rods like 7018. Else you run the risk of cracking around the welds. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks Grant.

Reply to