Peterson No. 3 Brazing Flux

I have a can of it.

Might have opened the can twice in 20 years.

Never used any of it.

Looks like no one makes No. 3 flux anymore.

I came across an unopened NCG can of No. 3 flux recently, the owner did not want to sell it. It must really be old.

What is the difference between No. 1, 2 and 3 fluxes??

Reply to
Dixon Ranch

Well for one thing if you've only got one can then you've only got half the flux. Peterson #3 is a two part flux with a mixture A and mixture B.

Peterson #1 is made for brazing steel and other materials that are easy to flux.

Peterson #2 is made for cast iron and malleable iron at medium and high heat. I've been forced to try this lately since I can't find any of the #3. It seems to work almost as well as the #3 on castings that haven't been soaked in oil. I've not had a chance to try it on the really difficult castings yet.

Peterson #3 is made for cast iron and malleable iron and low and medium heat. In other words it works at a lower temperature than the other fluxes allowing less heat to be put into the work piece. My former employer wouldn't use any other kind of flux on cast iron. I do know it works very well even on dirty castings.

If anybody ever finds any #3 and wants to sell it let me know. I need some more. I've got one set of cans left at the moment. But I have discovered that the #2 works almost as well on clean castings so I'm working at saving the #3 for the hard jobs.

From the label there only appears to be a few differences in #2 and #3. One that I can remember off hand is the addition of limestone to the #3. One of these days I'm going to do some experimenting and see if I can just add a few things to the #2 and make it work as well as the #3.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Front of the can

NO. 3 SPECIAL for brazing cast and malleable iron at low and medium heat.

Instructions on the back of the can read as follows:

Take from the can, Two ( 2 ) envelopes only of each color, and mix the contents together throughly in a small flux container or can. Small flux container may be left open when not in use. ---For low heat brazing: Bevel by grinding and heat the casting to a red heat on edges before applying flux. Apply flux with a wiping stroke, using the side of the rod so that you can completely wet and coat the metal with the melted flux as far as bronze will flow.

CLEANS FASTER------- BONDS STRONGER

Bronze can be applied from a dull red heat up to the molten point of the cast iron. Rusty, greasy, burned castings easily brazed with No.

3 Special. Cracks may be veed out with high e xcess oxygen flame or electric arc.

I tried to open it again today to look inside, but did not open it. Kinda rusted shut. Might open it later if I am feeling lucky.

Reply to
Dixon Ranch

Actually I imagine it was dropped because of low volume of sales. Most places I've asked about it just give me a blank stare.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I think that it is a 1 lb can.

Reply to
Dixon Ranch

Actually now that I think about it the first cans of this stuff I saw where that way. That was when I first started working at that shop and the next set we got came in separate cans as have all the others I've seen.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Reply to
Wayne Cook