TIG Braze Welding and book questions

I want to try TIG braze welding. I have done some O/A brazing many years ago, but this seems a lot different.
Do you use a flux? If yes, do you dip the rod in it or what?
Can anybody recommend a book that talks about how to do TIG braze welding?
Any suggestions about books that cover how to use the features of newer welding machines for TIG would be appreciated also.
Thanks in advance, Bob

No flux.

I have been teaching for 12 years and I have yet to see it in a TIG book.
It is really very simple. Act just like you are TIG welding, only use silicon bronze filler rod, and half the amps.
You end up with what looks like a weld bead. I use it when distortion would be a lot of trouble, it supplies adequete strength and there is no cosmetic problem with the color.

No sure any are out yet. I am working on one, but it won't be out for a while.
Check my back posts on google groups I talk a lot about sequencers and pulsers.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:25:51 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie..there was a thread on RCM about a fellow with a 24" crack in the water jacket of his loader engine.
Would this be a good method of closing the crack off? Perhaps Ni brazing rod?
Gunner

Not sure I would use that in that situation, do to the possibiliy of making the crack worse. I think epoxy is his best bet.
I think the gas welding product is known as 'low fuming bronze rod'. As your question notes, it comes bare to be dipped in flux and flux coated.
My first attempt at TIG braze welding was an utter and ugly failure. I knocked the flux off bronze rod I had for gas brazing. If I recall correctly, it didn't flow right and there was a white fume produced, even though I had completely polished off all traces of the flux.
On reporting my woe here, I was advised (by Ernie!) that for TIG brazing you must use _silicon bronze_. The gas-intended product simply won't work.
TIG braze welding is a nifty technique.
Ciao, David Todtman

The zinc in the low fuming bronze burns out at TIG temperatures and makes a mess.
Silicon Bronze, Tin Bronze, Aluminum Bronze (Ampco), Manganese Bronze, and Nickle Bronze (Monel) all work.
Sil-phos bronze will also work, but don't use it on steel as it can cause phosphorous cracking.

I was playing with some nickle bronze braze rod, really more nickle copper, and the TIG machine. It's interesting since it's strong and flows out better than silicon bronze. If I work the puddle a bit some of the steel seems to diffuse into braze and the color match is pretty good. If I work faster it has a copper color.
Cheers,
Kelley
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:25:58 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Everbody! Bob