MIG Flux Core wire still using a Gas shield

I have seen the larger spools of wire for a mig welder that have the flux core but still use a gas shield. Anybody know where to get the smaller spools? I have a baby mig clarke 130en

Reply to
Mickey

The process is called Gas Shielded Flux Core, but it is called DualShield by ESAB and Outershield by Lincoln.

The smallest version I have seen is a special product made by Harris called "20 GAUGE". It is an 0.024" dual shield wire.

Most Dual shield wires start at 0.035" diameter. Your 110 volt MIG can't handle that large of a dual shield wire.

Here is a link to info on the tiny wire.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie..what is the advantage of such wire? I have a fair quantity of it in .045, which is a bit big for my old tired Dan-mig, but am hanging on to it for when I find a bigger welder.

I do mostly rough welding, outdoors stuff, benchs, gates, corral fences, etc. (and poorly at that..sigh)

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Dual-shield is the most beautiful filler metal ever made for assembling steel 1/4" and heavier, but it must be used indoors.

It burns hotter than MIG, smoother and cleaner than Stick, and the welds have almost zero spatter.

I use it all the time in my Betamig 250, in 0.035" and 0.045".

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

As Randy points out thanks to the AWS Flux-core designations can be a bit confusing.

The best Dual shield wire for general use will be called E71T-1. ESAB 7100 Ultra is the best I have ever used.

If it has a 70 in there instead of 71 it is flat position only.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

We up in Canada also have a T9 that is popular. It is flat only. Runs like caulking. The foreman had me try to run 1/16 in an air cooled gun. I managed to melt the end of the contact tube and bond to the wire as it was coming out. The wire jammed of course but the contact tip was pointed :')) I should have kept the thing and taken a picture. A lot of trucks run gas shielded flux core in the field. When the wind comes up they rig canvas curtains. The smoke is no problems outside and with T1 you have a low hydrogen all position process on steroids. Also it is popular in local shipyards. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Ernie, do you run in spray parameters, and is the heat ever a problem with an air cooled gun? I would like to try the dual-shield, it sounds more versatile than spray.

Reply to
ATP*

Thanks. Ill check this weekend. IRRC..its 71..but Ill look for sure.

Gunner

Gunner

Only indoors? What am I missing? It would seem that the gas and flux cores would assist each other in wind resistance.

Will it be ok with CO2, or C25 only? I recently made the switch to CO2 for MIG. But I do have 2 full tanks of C25 on hand.

Gunner

Gunner

It runs below spray parameters and uses a standard C25 gas.

For example, on 1/16" E71T-1 the sweet spot is 23 volts, 200 amps. At school we always start there and adjust if necessary.

Dual shield has almost completely eliminted spray process hard wire MIG on heavy steel. Cleaner, faster stronger and easier to run.

The newest thing is metal core wires. The all position version is currently nocking dual shield off it's perch.

Metal core wires have all the benefits of Dual Shield but with higher deposition rates.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It depends on the wire. Some work fine with CO2. Gas shieled weld processes are very intolerant of any wind.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I sent a letter to my closest supplier and I will see if they have it in stock and give it a try.

Reply to
Mickey

Ernie, I tried the "20 gauge" .030 metal core wire with my Hobart 175 today. Good stuff. I definitely want to get a similar but larger wire to use at work.

Reply to
ATP*