Off Topic But This is The smartest Group on The Net

Some metal working content

My wife purchased a couple of cans of fruit cocktail the other night and when I was putting the cans in the recycling box I noticed that some of the metal coating was coming off the inside of both the cans. I was sure this was new stock but I called the manurfacturer and the codes show that this was fresh stock but the product was processed in South Africa and shipped to Canada.

My question is does anyone know what they coat the inside of these cans with, is it safe for human consumption especially young children and pregnant women and are there any standards that regulate how long a cans coating should stand up before it starts to break down?

Thanks in advance

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

Don't worry about it. Something's gonna kill you.

My grandfather drank a quart of booze a day, and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day.

When he died at 86, Granny said, "I told him those cigarettes and booze was going to kill him."

Live your life or hide in a closet.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Jimbo" wrote: (clip) when I was putting the cans in the recycling box I noticed that some of the metal coating was coming off (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So you are asking this question after the stuff has already been eaten? I assume, then, you must still be alive.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

[Partial Text] "..... to check the levels of tin in canned pineapples on sale in the UK. High tin concentrations in food may cause short-term stomach upsets in some people but without any lasting harm.
  • Tin concentrations in all 100 products tested were within the expected range and below the UK legal limit of 200 mg/kg for tin in food.
  • The tin concentrations found in these products do not present any concerns for consumers' health. ____________

[Partial Text] Food and drinks cans may be constructed from either steel or aluminium depending on the precise method of container manufacture. Steel for can making is supplied either as tin plate, which is steel with a very thin layer of tin electro-deposited onto both sides, or tin-free steel, where no tin is present. Both steel and aluminium are non-toxic . . . ______________

The last link references how three-piece welded food cans are made so I guess it's kind of on topic. Of course you could be making something clever out of those cans like an engine?

But sometime you're still going to die from something :)

Mike H. To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. --Thomas Edison

Reply to
Mike H.