Any comments on this brake design for round stock?

This will be used to bend tight 90 deg. angles in 1/4" round stock.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

-Tom

Reply to
TT

The inside corner of a tight bend is a minimum of half the thickness inside radius. Once you try the get tighter the material deforms and the life of the die is very limited. If the drilled block was hardened enough to retain its edge at the exit of the drilled hole the edge would cut heavily into the bar. My guess is if the unit was made as drawn and used the first couple of bars would bend and then you would have a fun time trying to take out your piece after bending. Also good sheet metal brake operators keep people away from their machines if there is any intention of bending round stock. Over the years I have seen a lot of damage to press brake and pan brake dies as a result of bending round bar. Make up a set of dies intended for that job only. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman