flux core wire

Can anyone suggest a good flux core wire for general purpose use? I
presently use the kind they sell at Wal-Mart and it spatters bad. It needs
to available in .035 diameter and small spools . Any help appreciated.
Reply to
rick myers
The stuff I bought at Harbor Freight runs well, and has the normal amount of spatter. I keep a spray can of Pam handy for the jobs where I want to eliminate the spatter. I got that idea from Ernie L., thanx.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
lincoln .030 and . 035 available at home depot , Lowe's actually cheaper than walmart. Other larger hardware stores carry Hobart brand , which is also good. these are for hobby level 1 or 2 pound, 4 inch rolls, or sometimes thay carry athe 10 pound rolls. if you need more than that welding suply store will have all kinds of brands and sizes at a reasonable price. keep in mind fluxcore wire will produce spatter and lots of smoke , but it works better on dirty or slightly rusty material.
Reply to
acrobat-ants
Thanks for the help. I'll try some different brands and see what works best for me.
Reply to
rick myers
I bought an off-brand and have a problem with it splattering more then the type I bought from Harbor freight, so I would go this way as well.
I have never heard of using Pam to help with splatter. How do use this to hold down the splatter? I could guess, but might be wrong.
John Ernst
Reply to
John J Ernst
You spray around the area to be welded with PAM and it helps to keep the weld spatter from sticking to the base metal. You can also spray the gas nozzle to make it easier to clean out the buildup. Just make sure everything is cold when you spray it. PAM uses a flammable propellant.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.
John Ernst
Reply to
John J Ernst