MIG solid wire using DC- ?

normally MIG is DC+ ......gun is + and work is - I have not tried it yet , but wondering what would happend if it is reversed same solid wire and c25 shielding gas used ?

thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

No penetration.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

acrobat-ants wrote: (clip) wondering what would happend if it is reversed (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ I just did this because I forgot to change the polarity. I got a series of loud snapping sparks, but no arc.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You will get less peneration and also experience excessive spatter.

Reply to
Jay L Ginder

I discovered a stupid I was doing today. I ran out of C25 and switched the wire out to fluxcore and forgot to change the polarity. I completed a whole project that way. I was really worried that I was "losing my touch". The penetration-wetting was ok but I got spatter from mars. The biggest, stickiest, and ugliest stuff I've ever seen. Needless to say, I ground those welds down to hide my embarrassment. I'm not sure if I could even call it spatter since it didn't spit and jump away like normal. Instead it stayed there, proud and strong.

Reply to
Zorro

Ok, I was under the impression that DC + means more penetration at the work piece and less heat on the wire that is why it is used on solid wire with shielding gas. and I guess it is also true with stick welding applications using DC.

I switched to DC -- on the mig setting(solid wire +shielding gas) just to see what happens, and like you said, no penetration and the wire melted fast.

to me it seems that DC- heats up the wire /gun more than the work piece and the wire melts faster.

so then why is fluxcore different ? where it requires DC-- for the gun. if DC-- = less penetratin..........but DC- is used on fluxcore (hollow) wire yet flux core burns hotter and penetrates deeper. flux core wire even has less metal because it is hollow. why doesn't it burns the wire faster ? what makes it burn so hot, is it the flux ?

what is the explaination for that.

thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

I´ve never heard that I would have to change polarity when changing to fluxcore wire. So to be very clear on this, what polarity should go where? Confused as always Henning

Reply to
kofta

on my lincoln welder it say:

MIG (solid wire + shielding gas) DC + the gun , wire is connected to positive post, work or ground cable with the big spring loaded calmp is connected to negative post

Fluxcore wire (gasless, self shielding) DC-

the gun , wire is connected to NEGATIVE post, work or ground cable with the big spring loaded calmp is connected to the POSITIVE post

Reply to
acrobat-ants