MIG welding question

What thickness can I expect to MIG weld with a 200A power supply, that can produce up to 36 volts arcs. Just trying to get some expectations.

Ignoramus14259

3/8" single pass running full tilt.

1/4" single pass continuous.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, thanks, you know everything, I appreciate your input. Would anything change if this welder could do, say, 48 volts at 200A? I am sorry if this question is wrong (if no one MIG welds at 48 volts)

Ignoramus14259

what welder you looking at and what are you going to weld

Reply to
chopper

48 volts is extremely high for wire feed. The only machines I have seen that can achieve that are big 500 amp power supplies for submerged arc welding (aka; sub-arc).
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie. 3/8" single pass at 36v is plenty for me. I suppose that I could do multiple passes in a very unlikely case if I need to ever weld more than that.

I got myself a Digimig wirefeed a little while ago to try with my new welding power supply (the old CyberTIG that I had that I modified to do CC and CV), I am reading its manual right now. Hence my question about mig welding. Have you ever seen Digimig wirefeeds? They are supposed to have a lot of bells and whistles.

What would be the most sensible MIG wire to try wirefeed welding first? Preferably fluxcore, as I do not have gas yet.

thanks

Ignoramus2391

Never heard of one before.

The most common self-shielded flux-core is E71T-8. Lots of companies make wires that fit that spec, but the best I have personally used in ESAB Coreshield 8.

BTW "MIG" denotes a gas shielded solid wire like ER70S-6.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler