MIG welding question

What thickness can I expect to MIG weld with a 200A power supply, that can produce up to 36 volts arcs. Just trying to get some
expectations.

3/8" single pass running full tilt.
1/4" single pass continuous.
--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology

Ernie, thanks, you know everything, I appreciate your input. Would anything change if this welder could do, say, 48 volts at 200A? I am sorry if this question is wrong (if no one MIG welds at 48 volts)

48 volts is extremely high for wire feed. The only machines I have seen that can achieve that are big 500 amp power supplies for submerged arc welding (aka; sub-arc).
--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology

Thanks Ernie. 3/8" single pass at 36v is plenty for me. I suppose that I could do multiple passes in a very unlikely case if I need to ever weld more than that.
I got myself a Digimig wirefeed a little while ago to try with my new welding power supply (the old CyberTIG that I had that I modified to do CC and CV), I am reading its manual right now. Hence my question about mig welding. Have you ever seen Digimig wirefeeds? They are supposed to have a lot of bells and whistles.
http://tinyurl.com/phrry
What would be the most sensible MIG wire to try wirefeed welding first? Preferably fluxcore, as I do not have gas yet.
thanks

Never heard of one before.

The most common self-shielded flux-core is E71T-8. Lots of companies make wires that fit that spec, but the best I have personally used in ESAB Coreshield 8.
BTW "MIG" denotes a gas shielded solid wire like ER70S-6.
--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology
Ignoramus14259 wrote:

what welder you looking at and what are you going to weld