Metal finishes

Anybody ever use Rust-Oleum Metalic Silver in the spray can for a plastic model?It's nice shiny silver that I'm experimenting with on a paint mule. It doesn't attack the plastic, either bare or with a black undercoat. Dries quickly and it takes Future, Next I'm trying a flat coat to see if it's ok for silver doped fabric.Tonight I'm applying some scrap decals. Dullcoat tomorrow to see if there us any problems.I'll try Krylon, too, as recent posts indicate that it's good, too.Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Keep us posted on this. Very interesting.

Reply to
dancho

On Jan 30, 6:21=A0pm, dancho wrote:>

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:> > Anybody ever use Rust-Oleum Metalic Silver in the spray can for a> > plastic model?It's nice shiny silver that I'm experimenting with on a> > paint mule. It doesn't attack the plastic, either bare or with a black> > undercoat. Dries quickly and it takes Future, Next I'm trying a flat> > coat to see if it's ok for silver doped fabric.Tonight I'm applying> > some scrap decals. Dullcoat tomorrow to see if there us any> > problems.I'll try Krylon, too, as recent posts indicate that it's> > good, too.Tom> > Keep us posted on this. =A0Very interesting.With a flat black undercoat and applying coats of Rust-Oleum as a mist from about twelve inches away things turned out really nice. The finished paint made the old Hawk kit look like polished silver. Probably would have been even more shiny if I had used gloss black underneath. Next came a thin coat of Testors Gloss Coat, decals , Testors Dullcote. Masked all of the struts and polished areas, taking the mask off now. So far, so good. Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

wrote:> snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:> > Anybody ever use Rust-Oleum Metalic

Aluminum doped fabric is not dead flat, it is sort of semi-gloss. Also, many folks who left fabric planes in aluminum color did put a coat of clear dope over the aluminum. Those would be glossier yet.

I am about to build the Revell Ryan NYP, so am really looking for a good way to finish it, and also have the cowling look different. I am considering Alclad on the cowl with silver paint on rest of exterior.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 31, 6:45=A0am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:> On Jan 31, 1:43 am, " snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com"

[...]

gloss.> Also, many folks who left fabric planes in aluminum color did put a> coat of clear dope over the aluminum. =A0Those would be glossier yet.> > I am about to build the Revell Ryan NYP, so am really looking for a> good way to finish it, and also have the cowling look different. I am> considering Alclad on the cowl with silver paint on rest of exterior.- Hide quoted text -> > - Show quoted text -The thin coat of Testors Dullcoat did achieve a sort of semi-gloss over the Glosscoat/Rust-Oleum Metallic Silver. The original silver with losscoat for the metal parts retained it's high gloss sheen.Tom

Reply to
maiesm72