Spray Painting Silver Plate?

I found a cheap silver plate candleabra at a thrift shop, and the plate is badly worn in a few prime spots. Since this is a poor quality (made in China) and thinly plated candelbra, I know from experience that the plate can't be improved upon, or is not worth the effort. However, since the candle holder has a nice design (curved, with ornate embossing), I was wondering about spray painting it with a matt black colour to imitate iron (the candleabra is heavyish.) Has anyone ever spray painted cheap silver plate before? Should it be primed, or will it even take? Thanks for any info.

Reply to
weft2

"weft2" wrote: (clip) Has anyone ever spray painted cheap silver plate before? Should it be primed, or will it even take? Thanks for any info. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have never done it, but I think I can answer from other experience. The silver plate, though cheap, is probably smooth and fairly shiny, which will result in poor adhesion of the paint. You might try wire-brushing, to produce a sort of matte finish of scratches, and then spray paint. Or you could dip the shole thing in muriatic acid to reduce the shine by etching.

However, I don't think a design that is finished to look right as silver plate will look like wrought iron after it is painted. It will look like painted silver plate. Maybe gloss black might look more natural. Or, how about gloss white?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Just give it a coat of Aluminum straight out of the spray can. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs