model cannon

If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable for small lathes.

Turner

I'll be there....

Reply to
kbeitz

This was NOT a good idea! Functional cannons in the hands of some of these people (me included)...but, but, but....then again, we don't NEED no stinking plans!!! My first, and sadly, last was .75" bore x 24" long. First shot pulverized a concrete block to dust with a cast Minnie from a wood mold. It's still in the shop someplace.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just how much ammo was "prepared" that day? What brand was the beer can? I smell a commercial! I used FF for my now demasculated cannon, what propellant is right for the 3"?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Goex 'Fg' or Goex 'Cannon'

Turner

Gives a new meaning to "This Bud's for you"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Over twenty five years ago I was living in the Sierra near Sonora CA. The paper had a story about these two people living in a mobile home having a lead ball come crashing through the roof. These two old retired boys read the story and realized it was the ball they had cast and fired from their home made cannon. It was the only shot they made. They had fired it and the ball had gone clear out of sight so they figured that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to shoot the thing. They paid for the damage done. No charges were filed since they turned themselves in and paid willingly for all the damages. They promised not to fire the cannon anymore. But I bet they sure had a good time talking about it. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

My first a 6" brass one bored to chamber a common marble at the time . I think I was about 13 at the time . Well I did not have any real powder so I pried open one of my Dad's 12 guage shells , dumped the powder in . A wad of paper rammed over that . No marble as this first firing was going to happen in my bedroom . I mean who could wait long enough to walk outside . Well I had confidence in my design just not much , so no way was I going to hold it in my hand to fire it off . Soooo I laid it on my bed . Lit the powder hole off . Well my Mom had bought me a nice new bright yellow bedspread . The barrel of the cannon being way to short to completely burn up the powder . So most of the powder was shot out the muzzle in a real impressive fan pattern where it finished burning . Well OK I was not the only one impressed . My Mom , ya not very much . My Dad oh well he was real impressed just not the way I needed . So he made sure I did not forget this lesson in a big way . Oddly enough the cannon was never confiscated and went on to fire many at marble at various objects . Mostly the would shatter on impact but I could get pretty decent penetration in a 2X4 . Every so often I still come across that little cannon , still looks great . Maybe the next time I run across it I will set it up as an reminder that growing up was indeed a great time . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Are you implying that you ever grew-up?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ha Ha . Well I will not tell on you if you don't tell on me ;-) Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Deal!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

In my high school shop class the instructor, Mr. Waters, let one of the students make a black poweder connon out of a large stainless bar. IIRC it would shoot a golf ball several hundred yards. This was before the country became so lawsuit happy.

Kids made knives out of radial saw blades, all sorts of fun stuff. That was one of my favorite high school classes, and the biggest reason I'm into metalworking today.

Reply to
jpolaski

Sadly, the U.S. schools don't encourage shop classes much anymore. In my community, they dropped them completely. Instead, schools produce sheltered fat pansies lacking handwork skills who are totally dependent upon off-shore sources for their 'stuff'. IMO, that mistake is going to hit the fan sometime in the near future.

Reply to
Turner

I made a double edged dagger with a walnut handle and sheath and cast silver gaurd and pommel in grade eight shop. I made a bunch of gun parts, bringing in the guns or at least the majority of them in to school.

About the only things that were openly opposed at that time were cannons, due to a 3/4 inch ball bearing making it's way through a couple layers of cinderblock wall, and throwing stars, because they always seemed to get stuck into the gym or shop class ceilings.

I've always liked working metal. Wood I can deal with if I have to, but metal is it for me.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones