Southern California Model Railroad Group

There's an Internet group by and for local model railroaders. The group is Model Railroads of Southern California...and it's free to join
and free use.
We're a local group of model railroaders who share our experiences, tips, and ideas with each other. All model railroaders, with or without layouts, are welcome to participate. Our group has over 550 members and is growing.
We publish news of local club and railroad events, and we do free layout tours. In the last 19 months we've had 46 layouts on tours throughout Southern California.
Bob Chaparro Group Moderator Hemet, CA
On Oct 27, 10:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

That'll be popular given that there's maybe 4 people out of 15 million in that region bright enough to comprehend what you just said...
Paul Johnson wrote:

... and they've probably just abandoned their computers, model railways and homes for fire-free refugee shelters(?)
You really couldn't understand his post? Tell me it's not so.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:29:47 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

-- Ray

Odd that you should think so; I showed your post to somewhere around 300 people at our swap meet in Riverside California today and every single one of them understood that you're a troll.

Southern Californians tend to be blind to their own stupidity from my experience living among them.
snipped-for-privacy@ursine.ca says...

Don't look now, but your people seem to have their problems too.
fl@liner

Right. And Mexicans are greasy, Muslims are religious fanatics, and blacks were happier as slaves, dancin' an' eatin' watermelon on de ol' plantation.
Good thinking.
On 10/28/2007 3:49 AM Paul Johnson spake thus:

Speaking as a "Northern" Californian[1], who should therefore be genetically predisposed to consider anyone down in SoCal to be a pop-culture-obsessed idiot, an overpaid movie star or a paparazzo, I must say your statement comes off as exceedingly ignorant. Even though I'd never want to live south, say, of Point Conception, it's stupid to generalize about a region with millions of people as you have.
[1] Calling the Bay Area "Northern California" seems wrong to me, as there's more than a third of the state between us and Oregon.

As Herb Caen, the late great San Francisco newspaper columnist once noted:
"The long-standing and bitter rivalry between San Francisco and Los Angeles would be so much more satisfying if only there were someone in Los Angeles who knew about it. Or cared."
As someone who grew up and went to college in the Bay Area and then migrated south in search of work, I can state that Caen hit it absolutely on the head.
That "rivalry" is all in the heads of Bay Area residents.
On 10/28/2007 6:11 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

Well, they *are* a rather provincial bunch, aren't they?
So how do SoCal hobby shops (let's say ones with train stuff) compare to Beige Area ones? Lots have closed around here, of course: to my mind, one of the best still is Franciscan Hobbies on Ocean near City College.

Caen thought it was because San Franciscans have always had an inferiority complex in regard to the much larger -and still growing- entity to the south, whereas San Francisco cannot expand an inch -except vertically- without dredging up more of the bay to build on. (Turns out that wasn't such a good idea anyway.) He felt that since San Franciscans couldn't claim to be *bigger* than L.A. they'd collectively decided to make it up by claiming to be *better* in every other way than thier declasse neighbors to the south; and they continue that way to this very day.
(This explains why L.A. folks are nearly always fond of San Francisco, in much the same way a big sister is fond of her bohemian if slightly odd little brother, while San Franciscans continue to act snotty towards Angelinos.)

It's difficult for me to compare: I haven't been back to The City now for almost twenty years. But the retreat of hobby shops -train-oriented hobby shops in particular- is evident down here too. There are several really good ones still remaining in the area, with the Whistle Stop, Milepost 38, and Allied Trains probably being as good as anything in the Bay Area. But from the Inland Empire (nee the San Bernardino-Riverside area) it's a 40 minute drive -at best- to the closest one. There are simply none left to serve the millions of residents east of metropolitan Los Angeles.
Drat.
Pete

Even though I think SF and LA are equally retarded for thinking that either is any less clueless than the other, I think you take some kind of moron prize for arguing that endless sprawl is a good idea.
On 10/29/2007 6:00 AM Paul Johnson spake thus:

I assume you're referring to SoCal (primarily Los Angeles County), correct?
It's equally moronic to blame the sprawl that we all know exists down there on the people who live there, at least as individuals. It's not as if they all decided to move there to add to urban sprawl by moving there, each and every one as a conscious decision.

If the split is socially between the sane and insane parts of the state, then I'm talking about the southern, insane half as in primarily south of Humboldt County.

Let me introduce you to a new phrase for your vocabulary: "Straw Man". It means the act of lying about what someone just said -or posted- and then drawing a conclusion based on your own lie. It's an act generally committed by either the witless or the Trollish, but in neither case does it commend the good judgment of the guilty party, because it's so painfully obvious.
To wit: nowhere did I say *anything* about the desirability of urban sprawl. Nor would I.
But at least your using the above tactic demonstrates why you dislike Californians so: they're nearly all a *lot* smarter than you.
Pity, that.
P. Roehling wrote:

What happened to Long's in Moreno Valley?
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Long story, pun intended.
Many years ago the store's then-manager (a model railroader himself) decided to put in a hobby shop since the store wasn't doing as well financially as he thought it should. (Not enough customers.)
So he installed a very complete railroad-oriented hobby shop, eventually using up circa 25% of the store's total floor space (!), and the place did indeed make more money for quite a while. Wasn't unusual to see modelers drive all the way from San Diego, Palm Springs, or west L.A. to shop. The place was *huge* and the prices were good. (They'd even dicker with you sometimes if they thought something had been in stock too long.)
Then the housing developments finally caught up with the Long's location, and the now larger population of non-railroading customers began asking why they couldn't buy some of the things they could usually find at a Long's Drugstore.
Management was unhappy, and they decided to cut down on the floor-space devoted to trains and go back to selling more of their traditional items.
This shrinkage of both their over-the-counter and mail-order business continued for years after the original train-loving manager left, with less and less competent people being put in charge, and less and less hobby items being stocked or sold, and the management eventually -and predictably- said "This stuff is losing us money!" and closed up the small remaining hobby portion of the business one night with very little warning.
It was sure nice while it lasted.
Pete

I thought this person opened a competing business not far away?

He did indeed.
Yclept "Train quest", it went under at very nearly the same time as Long's, but for different reasons.
Pete