Help us tailor our software to the needs of the model railroad community

Hello all,
I work for a new startup called HiveLive (www.hivelive.com), and we have recently released a beta version of our online "Social
Information Manager". We honestly believe that the collecting community could benefit from our (free) online web application, and are looking for a few forward-looking beta testers willing to provide feedback and help us tailor our software to your community.
HiveLive provides you the opportunity to catalogue your entire collection online, and gives you complete control over who sees what. You can keep everything completely private, share things publicly, or anything in-between. You get to choose and/or create your own types of information - we currently have a user with almost 400 books ("Book") and another group of users that catalogues local hiking trails ("Hike"). You could easily create, for example, a "Railroad Car" or even a "HO Model Railroad Engine" type, and then catalogue your most valuable items. It's all web-based, so your collection is available anywhere, and you can choose to share your information however you like. You can even form groups to manage information collaboratively.
Because of HiveLive's flexibility and user-created information types, people can store and share almost any kind of information, from recipes to car shows to restaurant reviews. We feel that cataloguing collectibles and specific subject matter will prove to be a leading use of HiveLive, and would like to start a dialog with creative members of these communities.
I would truly value your feedback on any aspect of HiveLive and how we might make it more useful to you.
You'll notice that HiveLive is currently available by invitation only. If you would like to help us out and sign up, you may use this invitation link to create an account. It is good for up to 30 new accounts.
http://hivelive.com/join/railroad
We have a special user forum for submitting feedback, questions, and bug reports, but I am happy to answer any questions posted here in this forum as well.
Thank you very much! I am looking forward to your feedback and seeing you on HiveLive.
Carlos Rodriguez Director, Community Development HiveLive, Inc. · Louisville, CO My profile: www.hivelive.com/people/carlos
HiveLive is a growing network of active information archives ("Hives"for short) where people and groups can manage and share information. You can create as many Hives as you want and participate in Hives that other people create. Most importantly, you control who sees what. As such, you can build your own personal information network on top of your social network.
HiveLive is a great way to post and share information online and control who sees what.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Carl wrote:
"Help us tailor our software to the needs of the model railroad community"
Shall we contact you off-line to negotiate a consulting contract?
Eric
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh yeah, you want model railroaders to catalog all the stuff they own on an online site - and trust you to keep it private? Hey dude, the Veterans Administration of the good old U.S. of A. can't keep data confidential, banks lose customer info all the time, so how is anyone going to trust YOU?
Add pictures here
βœ–
RRGrandad wrote:

RRG:
Yikes. I had thought this was just another stupid confusion of scale model railroading and train collecting; you've made me think it might be a very clever thiefs' aid...I wonder if the OP also posted to gem-cutters' newsgroups...
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nah. Just theft of services. They probably want us to be their unpaid R&D team. Work out the bugs then they can charge real money when they sell it to someone else.
Eric
Gerald wrote:
"Yikes. I had thought this was just another stupid confusion of scale model railroading and train collecting; you've made me think it might be a very clever thiefs' aid...I wonder if the OP also posted to gem-cutters' newsgroups..."
Add pictures here
βœ–

Private? Who said anything about private? Here's part of their user agreement. Note that it says they _own_ any data you send them. Therefor, it is theirs to do with as they please! :
------ a. Your Content. By posting any “Content” (which means any and
all postings, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, works of authorship, feedback, bug reports, or other materials) on the
Website, you hereby grant to HiveLive, an unrestricted, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, perform, display, create derivative works of, and distribute such Content in any and all media (now known or later developed) throughout the world. No compensation will be paid with respect to the Content that you submit, upload, post, transmit or
otherwise make available through the Services.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hello,
Thank you for bringing that clause to our attention. We are a tiny (4 person) start-up and outsource all of our legal work. As a result of your concerns, we contacted our lawyer and have modified out Terms of Use, available at www.hivelive.com/legal/terms
We've added a paragraph clarifying our intentions in terms of the licencing arrangement we need in order to provide our service. In short, it says that we do not claim ownership rights over our users' information, and we only use the licence privileges in order to provide or promote the service.
In order to store or back-up your information, display it to you (or to people with whom you've shared it), or to complete many other basic tasks associated with providing a web service, we need licence to, for instance, copy and display your information. You'll find that related online services require similar licence privileges. This is largely a matter of technical implementation, and in no case have we ever claimed ownership rights over our users' information.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and for your understanding. Carlos
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hi all
I get asked this sort of stuff all of the time, but it is related to personal files and financials. I usually end up telling folks something like this:
The best way to store YOUR stuff is on YOUR system or a system under YOUR direct control. No third parties. Physical control is the most important when it comes to security.
Today's firewalls make it pretty tough for [internet] outsiders to get at your data if properly administered and setup. In fact, it would probably be easier to break into your home and steal the whole dang computer than try to gain access accross the internet. Can whomever you give your data to absolutely positively guarentee security? Whom do they hire? What sort of security checks are done? What sort of physical security for the storage computers? Are the Internet connections secure? The list goes on.
I say the above as it applies to financial stuff or personal records. A lot of modeler's out there have *big* collections they have spent *years* gathering and could very well have some ( or most ) of the equipment/documents not replaceable. I know that this isn't the same as keeping records somewhere else, but if something happens to the security of those records, how long do you think that it will take for the bad guys to find and classify YOUR stuff?
Many things can go sideways when your data is NOT managed by you. Keep that in mind.
Please, before trusting your data to somebody you DO NOT KNOW think about it for awhile.
The folks that are offering this are probably upright, honest and security minded and you don't have a thing to worry about .... or do you?
my $0.02 worth.
todh
Add pictures here
βœ–
errrr . . . what are these thieves going to do, steal your pictures? its not like there is a map to your house on the site . . . i see where you're coming from, but there's no phsyical storage here, just logical.
ctclibby wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, but paranoia strikes deep. Bruce