NTRAK popularity

Hi:

First post here.

I am 47 YO and just getting interested in model railroad. As many newcomers, I am trying to determine which scale to start off with. After some weekend "googling", I was leaning toward N Scale because I became fascinated with what I learned about "module" construction in N scale known as NTRAK.

But here is the problem, my google groups search of the term "NTRAK" only turned up 17 posts since Jan 1 this year. That seems to indicate to me that this is not necessarily a very popular way to model.

Is this assumption correct? Is the NTRAK module concept growing, diminishing, staying level? Are there other module systems, clubs, and/or shows for HO scale "modules"?

Any insight into the module concept (any scale) would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Larry wrote: Hi: First post here. I am 47 YO and just getting interested in model railroad. As many newcomers, I am trying to determine which scale to start off with. After some weekend "googling", I was leaning toward N Scale because I became fascinated with what I learned about "module" construction in N scale known as NTRAK. But here is the problem, my google groups search of the term "NTRAK" only turned up 17 posts since Jan 1 this year. That seems to indicate to me that this is not necessarily a very popular way to model. Is this assumption correct? Is the NTRAK module concept growing, diminishing, staying level? Are there other module systems, clubs, and/or shows for HO scale "modules"? Any insight into the module concept (any scale) would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------- N-Trak and modular railroading are alive and well. It is very popular and constantly growing. Here are some sites:

Northern Virginia N-Trak (look at how big modular can become!):

Gavin Miller's website:

N-Trak Society:

T-Trak:

Bend Trak:

N-Cat:

The modular concept is also popular in HO scale and O scale.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Here's big:

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

I'm a member of a large and very successful modular club in Ottawa, Canada. While our club is HO scale, I believe the modular concept works well in any of the popular scale/gauge combinations (I have seen G-scale modular layouts!).

I'd suggest finding information about what modular groups are in your area. Since you're starting from scratch, your decision on whether to go the modular route and which scale to choose may be most strongly influenced by what others are doing nearby. Modular railroading is most fun when done in groups.

You've already seen some posted links to N scale modular groups. I'd also suggest looking into oNeTRAK for some really innovative single-track modules that can interoperate with regular N-Trak as well.

In HO scale, the FreeMo site is a good place to go to see the amazing possibilities of a non-traditional modular approach.

Then there's my own club, where we mix and match old and new modular ideas and run some really fun layouts in the process.

Regards, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jeanes

Do take a look at the FreeMo HO module organization. One of the greatest drawbacks of N scle for me is that the best commercially available track is code 55, and that is roughly the same as code 100 (rail height = 0.100") in HO, and code 100 rail looks too toy-like to me. I prefer code 70 and code

55 for mid-century branchline settings in HO. The lighter rail just looks more realistic. Maybe that's just me, who was scared by O-27 tubular 3 rail as a little child.

Code 40 looks good in N (similar to code 83 in HO), but it has to be entirely handlaid, and there is still some N scale rolling stock that won't even operate well on even on code 55 (most of the newer stuff will, I hear). The common code 80 N scale track just looks awful - it's the first thing I notice in most photos of N scale layouts, even when it has been well camouflaged with plenty of ballast and the rails painted, etc.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Thank you all for your responses.

I am very lucky that we have a hobby shop that carries lots of good stuff of all scales right here in my little town. Odd though, no clubs near me. I'm going to keep monitoring this group and learn all I can.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

indicate

N scale is a very popular scale (second after H0 IIRC).

NTRAK is very popular all over the world thanks to the modular construction.

Just because you don't see many postings on r.m.r, it doesn't mean that it is not popular. Think about it - this group is not the best forum for model railroaders anymore - noise to signal ration is way high here.

Also, NTRAK standards are well covered on many websites and in NTRAK manuals

- so there isn't much need to ask questions on Usenet.

What is nice about the modular construction is that theoretically anybody in thew world can come together and hook up their modules into a giant layout. In practice it isn't all that simple (internationally) as some things like electrical connectors can vary from country to country. But overall, it is still possible to get compliant with the standard using simple adapters.

There are many events all over the world where NTRAKkers get together.

Earlier this year, there was an NTRAK convention with a largest NTRAK layout ever built.

NTRAK plays very important role in presenting the hobby to general public and to possible future modelers. Most (if not all) local NTRAK clubs exhibit their modular layouts at public events. Our club even exhibits in Children's Hospital and Museums. It is great to interface with the public and to see their eyes light up when they watch our modular layout.

As far as using NTRAK standard in a home layout - it can be done too. But things like track spacing is a little generous to many. Also, 3 track main line might not be realistic in modeling many railroads. But many people have built layouts using NTRAK modules (or at least incorporated their module into a home layout).

If you want to learn more about NTRAK, the main website is a great starting point

It has lots of useful info and links to many regional NTRAK clubs. See
There are also many moderated groups covering NTRAK. See:
've been an NTRAK member since the late 80s. Peteski

Reply to
peteski

Just to add to my last post: If the basic NTRAK standard is not exactly what you are looking for, there are several other standards which might be better suitable for making a home layout.

See:

OneTrak is a good example of a modular construction which would be well suited for a nice looking home layut. And you could still take some modules and connect them to a bigger layout at some show.

Peteski

Reply to
peteski

[snip]

If you hadn't mentioned oNeTrak as an alternative, I would've ;{)

oNeTrak has two major advantages over conventional NTrak which may make it more suitable for integration into a home layout, depending on what you want to do with your home layout:

  • You don't need to maintain three tracks across each module

  • The module width can be much less

The ability to use narrower modules can make oNeTrak modules easier to transport. Free-MoN has even more flexibility, since Free-MoN modules aren't constrained by having to have a geometry that is conducive to arranging modules to make a loop. A bunch of us across southern Michigan are looking to get oNeTrak or Free-MoN going in our area, largely for these reasons.

Northern Virigina NTrak has a web site which provides a good outline of what oNeTrak is all about, at

Free-MoN Standards can be found at

-fm Webmaster of the Pere Marquette Historical Society, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

If you plan to stay 47 forever, great! N scale would be perfect!!!!

I thought I would, but I'm 77 now and my eyes are also 77 years old. Wait til you have to change couplers on an N scale car or diesel. Two pairs of glasses, a magnifying glass, and a powerful flashlight would help if your hand don't shake!!

Cogitate about it! Mike

Reply to
axipolti

On the other hand, I am 71, have a problem with macular degeneration in the right eye and still enjoy working with N Scale. Things aren't as easy as they used to be but I won't even consider changing scales. Cogitate about it.

John

Reply to
John Stephens

Hmmm... How old is Jim Fitzgerald? ;)

Recalling the Chantilly show this past summer, I certainly didn't notice any drop in interest (500+ modules in the layout... not sure what the attendance was, but I think it's on the web site yet:

I cut my teeth in miniature modeling on wargaming miniatures, modern era and science fiction... in "micro-armor" scale (between 1/285-1/300). I LIKE working in N scale - it's BIGGER than I'm used to!

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Mike replied: If you plan to stay 47 forever, great! N scale would be perfect!!!! I thought I would, but I'm 77 now and my eyes are also 77 years old. Wait til you have to change couplers on an N scale car or diesel. Two pairs of glasses, a magnifying glass, and a powerful flashlight would help if your hand don't shake!!

---------------------------------------------- I know the feeling and I'm only 70. I addition, a lot of patience and an arsenal of naughty words also helps!,g>

I wouldn't let age keep me away from N scale, though. One adapts to the smaller size.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

this is my route; I'm planning a 4x8 built from 4 modules. Two are back to back

2x4' modules to provide the straights for my oval (and so I have two modules for my club...) and two will be 180 curves (placed perpendicularly to the straights). I got this idea from a MR last year that had a pennsy layout built like this for an apartment.

I'll ballast the inner track a differnet color so it looks like a siding and only use it as a third main when I have guest and want to run three trains at a time... The curves will be generous enough so that I can run 85-90' cars and long engines on my outer two tracks.

My two straights have lots of switching so if I use a scene block (have to have two sets...:-( one the bolt-ons for club running, and a second for the 4x8 placed on top of the modules since I can't bolt scene blocks on when they are back to back. If anyone thinks of a better idea PLEASE email me), I can run point to point operations....

Reply to
Sethkimmel