FREMO module design+Marklin K-track

Hello people,
prompted by a friend who has recently relocated (and dismantled his layout), I made for him some proposals for modules in the area he had
allocated after the discussion with his wife.
The area allocated to him was 240cm*170cm. I used for the designs the XtrkCAD program, under Linux, and used sectional K-track everywhere (only in an occassion I used flextrack).
I made at first a proposal using continuous operation ideas, in one level.
This was one of my first proposals:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4714/kosathelmoduleproposal2hz4.gif
See the concetrated modules in the lower left corner? These fit in the prescribed area (170cm*240cm).
One of the semicircles can also accomodate FREMO module connections with other layouts.
When you join back-to-back the basic modules, you can have an adequate small passenger station. When configured as a loop, the top mainline module is used as a mini staging yard.
A refinement of the design led to the following variation (streamlining a bit, somewhat longer passing siding). Also, I added an adaptor module for joining to single-track FREMO modules.
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7061/kosathelmoduleproposal3ca5.gif
After getting bored with the loop concept, I decided to play with a point-to-point concept. Tricks I used (look at the following image, where I lettered the modules):
- I used a 30cm diameter turntable in module B, so you can reverse a locomotive on an arriving train in the passenger station (module A) without any switches/turnouts.
This turntable can be also used an an entrance to a locomotive depot/rotunda. This is designed so it can be attached to FREMO modules from all sides.
- the 'big' semicircle (radius 424mm, modules G-H) connects the two layout edges, while at the same time it permits through traffic from other FREMO modules (vertical axis). Under the straight line in G module exists a small river, that necessitates a small bridge (scenery opportunity!)
- The modules E/F are staging yard (from here start trains destined for the passenger station -module A- or the industrial area).
- The industrial area is our switching layout part, with a river along it (opportunity to add 1-2 small boats). There are two ways of reaching it: either via module A (diagonal track) or via the FREMO-compatible connections (left or right)
In total, the 'packed' version can be connected with other FREMO modules at five different points for through traffic.
If we 'unfold' the modules, a sample arrangement is shown at the top area of the image below (you can put everything in one axis, giving you a HUGE linear layout that can accomodate branch traffic as well)
In this 'unfolded' version, I have turned the modules E and F 180 degrees (you can also make 1-2 extra F-type modules for extra expansion of the passenger station).
The industrial 'customers' at modules C/D were moved to a branch line, as I did with the turntable as well. Or you could plug the C/D modules in reverse (I designed it in a way that you can plug it in a FREMO layout).
In the example below, you can plug other FREMO modules in four different places, accomodating through or branch traffic.
And see our weekend's opus:
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/4458/kosathelmoduleproposal3oo6.gif
Here you can get the full-size GIF, if you want to study it more carefully:
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/4458/kosathelmoduleproposal3oo6.gif
Hope this was something interesting, N.F.

"Hope this was something interesting"... sure was, Nick. Thanks for sharing.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Bill's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Bill wrote:

Oops, I made a mistake - I didn't give the link to the full-resolution GIF of the design.
Here it is:
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6164/kosathelmoduleproposal3vp4.gif
Enjoy, N.F.
Hello again,
I made some small operating improvements on the most recent modules design proposal:
1. I put a long double-slip switch at module A instead of a switch (see near the letter A) 2. I put a long double-slip switch at module E (I replaced the existing switch)
These two changes mean that we can reverse locomotives in the 'unfolded' configuration inside our passenger station, even if nobody else brings any modules for playing with us.
3. I put a diagonal track on the 30cm turntable (module B). This does mean I can also 'plug' the turntable in more places, like behind the passenger station (see the image for this example), or at the industrial module 'D'.
The latter gives some intriguing opportunities for interesting switching movements. And this diagonal can hold a small locomotive too (it's 180cm, but we could expand it).
See the latest example here:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9011/kosathelmoduleproposal3ax5.gif
Cheers, Nick Fotis