Name for Station...help!!

Hi everyone. I am finishing of my Terminus and realize that it must have a name, (as must the layout) but I cant come up with one. Maybe you guys can help,......

Its a freelance layout, based on the Southern (BR), late 50s early 60s.(With a hint of GWR (BR)) Its a six road terminus, five passenger, one cattle, with a MPD and Turntable at the throat I imagine it to be a seaside terminus (A bigger Swanage?) The occasional Terrier turns up from a nearby branch line, but mainly Bullieds on the main. There's a 2% incline away from the station (How did that happen :-) ) Name cant be too long, has to fit on Coppercraft nameboards, 10 / 12 letters.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

I always name my fictional layouts after Liverpool FC players. I'm currently working on Rush Hill. :)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

How about Sandbourne - it was the name Thomas Hardy used for Bournmouth

Reply to
John Ruddy

"John Ruddy" wrote

Or Seabourne Jct?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Weshalsea?

Reply to
Mike

How did you come up with that!

Reply to
Rob Kemp

That's a good idea. And have you noticed how stations are almost always called "Something Victoria" or "Something London Road"?

Sandbourne Victoria sounds really good!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

For a minute there I thought you were going to suggest "Claughton" :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Reply to
William Pearce

That sounds good!! Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

...or Budmouth, which was his name for Weymouth.

Andy Kirkham

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

Sorry, I don't think "...help' is a good name for a station.

Reply to
barn

That's the name of the pub opposite the station. The Claughton Hotel! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The message from "kim" contains these words:

But Claughton is a real place. No railway, unfortunately.

Reply to
David Jackson

Next to the C. Laughton Theatre?

Reply to
MartinS

I didn't think it was that catchy either, trouble is, next station down the line is already called "Me"

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Well, it's a bit shorter than Llanfairpwllgwyngogerychwrdrobwllllantisiliogogogoch.

Reply to
MartinS

Oddly enough was talking with someone about building a layout akin to Madderport at lunchtime on the day of your post and the subject of names came up. As this was a first attempt and I wasn't sure the person would follow through I thought of Weshalsea (pronounced We shall see), didn't mention it to him though so it is AFAIK as yet unused. I happen to be fond of this kind of thing, twee though it be, mainly due to influence of Aherns work (Quibble and Cuss Estate Agents et al). The large mill on my last layout had the owners name on it George Trublett (Trublett Mill). The real world has quite a few to offer, there is a Dr Frankenstein (a Dentist by trade) who used to have an office in Sale nr Manchester, and a van in London bore the slogan 'S & M Glaziers - Every pane a pleasure' which I rather liked. One slogan I have used on a model was revealed by the removal of a large poster hoarding, painted on the side of my favourite hardware shop in Edgley nr Stockport: 'W H Potts

- We sell the tools your neighbour likes to borrow'

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

That's easy for you to say

Reply to
Rob Kemp

then you would need help-pronouncing the station.

Reply to
barn