Name for Station...help!!

Thats a chemists surely?

For soliciters the old faithful of Dewey, Cheetham and Howe, although those with an ear for comedy might choose Flywheel, Beagle and Flywheel.

For builders on a modern layout, Patel and Patel, you had the cowboys now get the Indians, or my old friends of Bodgit and Scarper.

Reply to
estarriol

Fiona Richmond's car numberplate was reputed to be FU2...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Daiana Dors had 5EXY

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Lots of Ribble buses had FCK registrations, and Bradford ones had FKU. Leeds had AUM, etc., but several combinations were skipped. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

A lingerie salesman used to have BRA 36.

An Ontario one I saw (in my rear-view mirror!): TI 3VOM.

A couple I saw when Ontario first introduced custom plates, but they had to be in the ABC 123 format: IGO 469 and IAM 469.

Now you can get anything you want (within reason) up to 8 letters and spaces, for $240. Up to 6 letters with custom graphics costs $320. They used to offer Star Trek, but it's not on the current list.

MartinS

"estarriol" wrote i For builders on a modern layout, Patel and Patel, you had the cowboys now get the Indians, or my old friends of Bodgit and Scarper.

Ah, but don't forget the scrap dealer (or local second hand dealer) on your model railway high street - Norfolk & Goode .

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

It was indeed, a white Jaguar XJ12 which was bought by pin-up photographer John Bernhard and parked in a street by me for many years.

Bought by model Linda Delargy (also from Coventry) and fitted to her blue VW cabriolet. She often parked it in front of my house when she came to visit her mother who lives a few doors away.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

ROFL

A few years ago, The Eastern Daily Press decided that it was going to start a campaign to make communities in East Anglia proud of themselves. Part of the campaign was an attempt to get everyone in Norfolk to claim "We're Norfolk and good!" Sadly, the hacks at the EDP didn't take into account the Norfolk accent. The campaign was hurriedly withdrawn when the effect became apparent.

More recently, BBC Radio Suffolk has attempted a similar campaign with their catchphrase "We're Suffolk and proud!" That one lasted about as long as the first!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

There was reputed to be a programme on BBC Scotland many years ago on the Gaelic language called "Brush UpYour Erse".

And I actually worked on recoring a series of epilogues at BBC Glasgow called "What's This I've Got In My Hand" :-) It was transmitted even after all the heavy hints from the crew. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Then there was the racehorse Norfolk Enchants!

Reply to
John Calder

In message , John Calder writes

There was another one called "Noble Locks".

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

A gelding I presume?

There's a shopping centre to the west of me called Ball Hill. It was originally called Stoke Nob but the name was changed after residents complained. I only found out after buying a reproduction map.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In Pennsylvania there is a Purple Knob. (Also Gobblers Knob, home of Punxsutawney Phil, the meteorologically prognosticating groundhog).

Reply to
MartinS

Near Ainsdale, Merseyside, there are two (very minor) hills listed in the A-Z as Big Balls and Little Balls.

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

Start again!!! This threads getting silly!

Reply to
Rob Kemp

In message , Zipadee Doodar writes

There's the hill on Bodmin Moor, which in Cornish is Bryn Whelli, but in English is Brown Willy.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In PA, hills are Knobs and streams are Runs. There's a Scarlett Knob, and Blue Knob has a state park and a very popular ski resort. There's even a Knob Run.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote In PA, hills are Knobs and streams are Runs. There's a Scarlett Knob, and Blue Knob has a state park and a very popular ski resort. There's even a Knob Run.

Martin S.

One I always remember from my Geography lessons at school where my teacher was learning us all 6 figure grid references on maps and the question was "If you lived at xxx,yyy - you'd be a what? ". Of course, it's a real map, but I don't remember where this place was but it had a very memorable name - you'd be a Pillock from "Pillocks Green" !

I forget where the other is, Think Lincolnshire around the Stamford boarder? But may be wrong - two little places called "Little Snoring" and "Great Snoring" (If I have the wrong geographical area - Sorry in advance!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Near Church Stretton, Shropshire

Near Fakenham, Norfolk

Reply to
David Biddulph

Near where I live in Sunbury on Thames there is the rather painful sounding 'Prince Albert Court' I drove pass this for a couple of years without noticing until my sister pointed it out , now I smile to myself every time!

Reply to
Neil Kirby