Station name

Dear all I'm trying to come up with a name for my new "intermediate" through station. Located in the south / southwest of England, and needs to be shortish as I have to fit it on a peco nameboard so about 8 - 10 letters. There is a big duckpond and a steep hill nearby, and im stumped. Any ideas? Ta much Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Marsh Hill ???

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hosbronn - literally "duck hill" in the Cornish language

Or more likely some kind of Anglicisation like Horsebrown.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Drake's Knob".

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , Rob Kemp writes

Pond Hill

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

What's the name of the nearest village, real or imagined?

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Oh no. I hadn't even though about naming the village!! Thanks a lot.................... Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Stumpton? Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Ponder's Hill.

of course, there is a town in Somerset where it is up hill both ways to school.

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

Try "Penpol" this is of Cornish derivation and means "pen" a steep hill or headland, "pol" a pool or lake! It actually exists close to the A39 north of Falmouth! The nearest station in real life is Perranwell Station not sure what line this is, it terminates at Falmouth Good luck ry-trains (Nigel Gostick)

Reply to
nigel Gostick

Fishponds ?

Reply to
peter abraham

peter abraham said the following on 15/08/2006 11:03:

Fishponds was Midland territory :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Will you dare to state that it is not in the South West? in any case it started life under Brunel and died in the Western Region.

Peter A

Reply to
peter abraham

Problem solved then, name it after the village ;-)

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Thanks all Marsh Hill it is, but loved some of the funny suggestions..

Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Sounds a bit of a lame duck to me...

Reply to
Bob

How about "Fawkham Hall"?

Reply to
David Costigan

One of the Carry On movies had a seaside resort called Fircombe.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

There's a village called Faccombe in Hampshire. It has a Hall.

Reply to
Matthew Sylvester

And one of them featured the ultra-rare Oozelum bird, which promptly disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving behind a single blue feather.

Reply to
MartinS