New Peco N Guage Loco

I've just come back from Pecorama [checking out their digital weekend - all very interesting!] and saw a new model of a GWR Collet Goods in N guage in a Peco box. I've not heard any rumours, so its come as a bit of a surprise.

Reply to
John Ruddy

With a RRP of 149.99 it had better be perfect

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

Well there were rumours that Peco was going to re-enter the world of N gauge RTR on the N Gauge Yahoo Group, but no one seemed to know exactly what it was going to be. A lot of people seemed to think it was going to be a Hymek, mainly it seems because they used to produce a kit of one!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

I'd buy a couple of Hymeks, happen to like em, had thought it was a good bet for Dapol, but at close on £150 I'd have to pass, well maybe just one . . .

Reply to
Mike

I must admit I was surprised when they didn't announce one in their plans for their next few years.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

If its really good, £150 is a bargain. The time and cost of correcting an imperfect model is very high. If it has a decent DCC chip, that's another £20-£30 you'd have to add to any other locomotives price.

Have to wait until we've good data on its accuracy and scope for finescaling.

And I'll need an excuse for foreign GWR locos....

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Seems a pretty dumb choice to me, afterall getting a DCC chip into a Farish 57xx is pretty difficult if not outright impossible. It would have been more logical to provide a DCC diesel where its less problematic to chip other N gauge diesels. On the other hand Peco have always sought world domination so they will no doubt be promoting N gauge layouts exclusively powered by 2251s. Odds on I would suggest that a non DCC fitted 2251 follows poor sales of the DCC fitted one.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

Its not that difficult. Moderately difficult is a Beattie well-tank 2-4-0T. Fairly difficult is a DCC chip in a railway inspection trolley or a VW camper bus in N.

All have been done.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Reply to
David Costigan

The only article I've seen in respect of chipping a 57xx requires the bunker to be sawn off!!