Re: Ever heard of a "Platelayer"

Folks, Whilst 'platelayer' is an odd term in US parlance, so to us in British countries is a 'Gandy Dancer'. I know what it means, but what is it's derivation? Regards, Bill.

> > I bought a small plastic structure kit from a vendor of British model > > railroad items. The kit was of a small dwelling called a 'plate > > layers' shack. > > > "Hut", "Platelayer's Hut". > > "Shack" is American. > > Cheers > Roger T. > > Home of the Great Eastern Railway >

William Pearce

Supposedly from the tools made by the Gandy Tool Co.

However, talk to a working railroader about "Gandy Dancers" and he'll know your a foamer.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Talk to them about a "Randy Prancer" and they will know which block you have been pushing to make for a delay on the late shift....

20 minutes at 11 oclock in east Chicago......

Just kidding, just kidding. I liked the ryme....

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You know Roger, I believe you are right. I think the kit was called a 'plate layers hut'. ;

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" <

The GER is under deferred maintenance as it's awaiting demolition.

Never built one of those Doug. Bit of a challenge was it?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote: >

I don't have to guess, I've used them. They are driven into the gap between the chair and the web of the (bullhead) rail to secure the rail to the chair.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Roger, I assume then that the Gandy Tool Co. made tools for railway track laying and the like, I don't think that the name was known here in Australia. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

"William Pearce" <

Exactly Bill.

However, only foamers and songwriters use the term "Gandy Dancers", 'cause they don't know any better.

The only "Gandy Dancer" I knew of was a gay bar down the street from where I worked in Vancouver. Their patrons used to park in our 24/7 private parking lot. When I was working late at night, I used to phone the tow truck company to remove theirs and any other person's car parked in our private lot when I couldn't find a place to park.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

The story I've seen was that Gandy made shovels, possibly among other tools, and that "Gandy dancing" came from slipping the blade of the shovel under the rail - or under a tie? - and jumping up and down on the handle to vibrate and help settle the track in the ballast. Or something like that.

There's still a Gandy company making gardening tools.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Roger, Yes, a three month build. I probably spent about 12 hour a week on it. I didn't know the wrecking ball was coming to visit your layout. Kind of bitter sweet isn't it? I'm faced with the same task. We are planning to retire so we are building on to our summer home and selling the farm. That means the Atlantic Central RR is going to come apart this fall. The good news is that it will be rebuilt in a new much larger room. I've been using XTrakCad to work out a new track plan. The current layout was/is a pretty good one to operate on. Rather than do something all new, I am just going to expand things and enhance the current track plan. More stageing and more structures. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Doug.

Other than the actual layout, I never spent that much time building anything I wasn't being paid for. :-)

Yes, It'll be sad to see it go but I'm looking forward to building the new GER and this time It'll be built with steam in mind with, if any grades. This time, in the same space as the existing layout, rather than build the typical North American railroad/way with several stations and yards, I'm going to follow UK practice and build one much larger yard feed from staging tracks on the other side of the room. Operation will consist of running all the trains that run through, originate. terminate and interchange cars at this busy location.

It will be the hub for four or so branchlines with at least two modelled junctions, one hopefully via a wye with the station located in the wye itself. There will be connections to the NYC, D&H, CV and B&M, all of which will require a freight or two and in the 1950's, all ran passenger train into Canada. As the new station will be on the GER's mainline to the marittime provinces, there'll be plenty of mainline traffic as well and commuter service to and from Montreal. At least one of the branches will only see light traffic, perhaps just a mix train daily.

There will be an engine facility to service the branch power and the interchange runs to the connecting U.S. railroads. Power stationed at the roundhouse will be 2-8-2s for interchange freights, 2-8-0s for branch freights and mainline wayfreights, 4-6-2s for communter service, branch passenger and branch wayfreights, a pair of 2-10-0s for the light rail branch leading to an unmodelled papermill, and also for 4-6-0s for branch passenger and way freights.

Mainline trains will see the last of the GER's bigger steam, 4-8-2s,

2-10-2s, and the aforementioned 2-8-2s and 2-8-0s on the lighter freights and mainline way freights but most of the mainline trains, both passenger and freight, will be diesel powered. As I say, it'll keep me hopping.

Any photos on the web?

Sounds like a good plan. I wish you well with it.

Reply to
Roger T.

Reply to
William Pearce

Now, having convinced all you folk in North America that a platelayer ain't someone who puts down plates on a restaurant table, would you like to consider the term 'fettler' in the context of railways? Poms, Kiwis, Aussies and others from British Empire countries are disqualified from this quiz as they should know the answer. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

I thought this question came up a couple of years ago. Found the following on Google.

+++++++ From: W A Pearce (ben snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au) Subject: Re: DJH Garratt Kit Questions Newsgroups: rec.models.railroad Date: 2002-07-03 02:50:10 PST

Fellas, What is a 'fettler', why, one who fettles! Regards, Bill.

++++++

Couldn't resist.

Reply to
<wkaiser

Reply to
William Pearce

Okay then when is a 'fettler' a "ganger"?

Charles Emerson, Bellbird, NSW, Australia

Reply to
Charles Emerson

When he's in charge of a gang of fettlers.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Yes, here is a link

'm glad I have the photos. They will keep me motivated while I work on the new layout. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Very nice Doug. Those buildings are great as is the scenery. Excellent job.