Benchwork, Track, Wiring [test], then Scenery?

Whether you build your layout module by module or all at once [completing all of the benchwork, initially], and aside from the obvious need to pre-plan rivers, lakes, and mountains as you assemble the benchwork, I am most interested in the order in which most of you approach the effort of creating a model railroad from beginning to end [whether it be a single module or a complete layout].

Is this your process:

  1. build bench work
  2. lay track
  3. wire track
  4. hook up track power
  5. run cars and engines until you feel confident that you have corrected any and all electrical and/or track issues.
  6. Begin scenery effort

----------

If embarking on a modular design [my expected approach], do you begin and/or complete step #6 prior to the next module's creation [completing steps #1-#5]?

Reply to
Matt Brennan

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:44:01 UTC, mc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Matt Brennan) wrote: 2000

I strongly recommend the modular approach for a couple of reasons, there are probably more.

  1. allows you to start running earlier
  2. allows much easier work under the layout, i.e. stand the module on its side

NEVER short cut the bench work. It is the foundation of everything. Modules make it easier. You can build a couple of straight track modules to tack on the end of your module set so you can do more switching. You can expand operations as you add modules.

I do 1 through 5 until I know everything works well. I haven't gotten to 6 yet on my modules :-) In fact I will probably redo my modules so scenery is pushed out further.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

the

assemble

of you

to end

begin

Matt,

Rivers, lakes, and mountains aren't the only thing that need to be preplanned.

I would make the steps:

  1. Plan your track layout, including major scenic elements (e.g., rivers, mountains, city/town locations, etc.), and get it on paper.
  2. Layout the benchwork arrangement that will provide the best support to the track and major scenic elements. Even if you're using modules you need to know where you'll need them, and if any odd shaped or corner modules will be needed.
  3. Lay an area of track.
  4. Wire the area of track layed in step 3.
  5. Hook up track power to the area you just wired.
  6. Run cars and engines until you feel confident that you have corrected any and all electrical and/or track issues in this area.
  7. Repeat steps 3 - 6 until you have a completely (or as complete as any layout may get) functional layout.

I tend to do scenary on completed areas when I need a break from track laying and wiring. So I don't include it in the 'repeat until done' list, as it may take a long time to get done at all. And I often go back and change what's already done 'just because'.

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

that is basically the plan I am following. jai

Reply to
JaiJEF

Benchwork 1. Track 1. Wiring 1. Test1.

Benchwork 2. Track 2. Wiring 2. Test.2 Scenery 1.

Benchwork 3. Track 3. Wiring 3. Test 3. Scenery 1-2.

Benchwork 4. Track 4. Wiring 4. Test 4. Scenery 1, 2, 3.

See a pattern here?

Once you start scenery, you can always take a break from benchwork, track, and wiring to do scenery. Except on really small layouts, I've never understood the concept of doing all the benchwork, then laying all the track, then doing all the wiring, then all the testing, then starting scenery.

I always build in bits, it's far more interesting. Besides, you get to run trains all the time the layout's under constructions. And that's the fun part.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.