AMA District V Looking for AVP Candidates

Tony Stillman, our new District V VP is off and running at the job. Top priority is filling the AVP positions with active modelers. He wants to spread people around so that the whole district is covered. He is well covered in Orlando FL and Huntsville AL, for example... He does need some candidates to cover Memphis and Knoxville, TN and the Tallahassee, FL/ Dothan, AL area.

He has definite requirements to fill these positions.

From: Tony Stillman, AMA District V Vice-President

3702 N. Pace Blvd. Pensacola, FL 32505 850-434-0909 (daytime) E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@radiosouthrc.com

RE: 2005 AMA District V Associate Vice-President duties and requirements

Modelers: My vision for AMA District V is to create conditions to allow our membership to have quick access to AMA, via the Associate Vice Presidents. In order to do this, we will be taking advantage of the Internet and the communication/information sharing it can provide. This will require every AVP to be able to send and receive e-mail, as well as have enough computer skills (or willingness to learn them) to participate in on-line "chat rooms" . These will be set-up on our AMA District web site to allow all AVP's to be online together with me in a "party-line" atmosphere. This will allow us to meet on a quarterly basis to discuss any issues that you may have, as well as my being able to pass information on to the group all at the same time. In order to accomplish this goal, you may need to check into high-speed Internet access. You will also need a "permanent" E-mail address (not a "hotmail" type account). Some of these accounts have difficulty working using mass E-mailings, as they look like SPAM and are sometimes blocked. This tool should improve communications greatly! I will also have a yearly meeting, held at the Southeastern Modelers Show in Perry, Georgia, where those who can will be able to meet face-to-face for an hour or so to discuss issues and meet with modelers.

Each AVP will be asked to contact all AMA clubs within at least a one hundred mile radius of their home. I need each of you to establish a personal relationship with every club that you can meet with. This personal contact will help improve AMA-to-member relationships as well.

As part of your function, you will be able to cover local events in your area and write up a report of it and send it to me via e-mail. This report will also need to include digital pictures of the event. If you don't own a digital camera, you can have your film converted to digital format when you get it developed. Many companies offer a CD ROM of your pictures for a very minimal expense. Of course, it would be much cheaper if you own a digital camera. When I receive a report of an event from you, I will review it and consider it for publication in the District V column in Model Aviation. I want to give you credit for the work that you do by printing your article in the magazine! You are making the personal contacts, so you will be better suited to write the article and take the pictures than I could! You are doing this work, so you should get the credit for it. All feedback you get from club officers and members will be crucial information that needs to be passed on to me. Note that I have enough space for about three reports each month. That is only thirty-six per year, not including anything that I may need to put in. In some months, there may not be any field reports at all. So, I will have to pick and choose from your events. Be sure that I will publish at least one report from each AVP each year. In rare cases, I may ask some of you to cover an event. We will work the details out with you, but I will also provide some amount of financial compensation for your travel expenses in this case. You will be able to do this via E-mail and through our quarterly group on-line chats.

I am asking a lot of you, but I also believe that you can have a major effect on your local modelers. I believe that the personal rewards you will receive by helping out fellow modelers in your local area will be worth all the hard work.

In the past, there was no real plan as to who was selected as an AVP. I am changing that. I need energetic people who will aggressively work for our District. I also need to spread out the AVP's so that I am able to cover as many clubs as we can. District Five is a very large district, and I must select AVP's in such a way that we get maximum exposure for AMA.

If you are interested in becoming an AVP for District Five, please fill out the form below, and include a short bio on yourself and why you want to be an AVP. If you are currently an AVP, you must send in a resume in order to be considered for renewal.

Thank you, Tony Stillman AMA District Five Vice-President

Your resume must include the following information:

Name: Address: City/State/Zip Daytime Phone Number Evening Phone Number Cell Phone Number: E-Mail address: AMA Number: AMA Leader Member since: Years in AMA Years in modeling List clubs that you are aware of within 100 miles of your home. List current modeling activities, including recent projects you have completed: List clubs you are currently involved with List any positions you have held in AMA clubs List briefly your reasons for applying for Associate Vice-President List three references from modelers in your area

NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO JOIN THE TEAM THAT WILL MAKE DISTRICT V ALL IT CAN BE. THINK IT OVER AND IF YOU FEEL YOU ARE QUALIFIED OR HAVE A RECOMMENDATION PLEASE LET TONY KNOW.

Red Scholefield