Solite covering help

I purchased some solite covering for a slow fly J-3 Cub and I just tried to get it to stick with no luck. I tried a pretty wide range of temperatures with no luck. I have had the stuff laying around for at least 2 years, maybe 3 or more, and am just now getting around to finishing the plane. Is that why I can't get it to stick? The only other covering I am familiar with is MonoKote, I've never done these small planes before.

-- Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Reply to
Chris W

You did remove the backing first, right?

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

Did you peel the backing sheet off?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I found the glue on Solite to be VERY aggressive at the recommended temperatures, around 90C for tacking and around 110C for shrinking. If you are trying to work it at Moneykote temperatures, you may have a problem there. Other than that, once I peel the backing off, the biggest problem I have is keeping it from folding and sticking to itself

Reply to
Bob Cowell

I try to slice it with a knife, and then get a hold of the backing and stretch it. The covering is tougfher than teh backing and this generally starts enough to get it to split.

Its never easy tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

from the backing side, I go to a corner, and take a sharp "T" pin, It is fairly easy to get it through the backing about 1/4 inch or so from the corner, and use it to separate the two layers

Reply to
Bob Cowell