Re: RCU, Screw You - This is the last straw

Are you saying that you disable all cookies? I heard that there are people that paranoid but have never met one. Without cookies the internet's usefulness drops by about 70%. 90% of the stuff I buy, I buy on the internet, I couldn't do that without cookies.

Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

MJC wrote:

While attempting to reply for the first time to a message in the forum, I > was slammed into a screen with this message: > "YOU ARE NOW LOGGED OUT! > If you did not intend to log out (e.g. you were replying > to a message and got blown out) CLICK HERE." > > Then, after "CLICK(ing) HERE", I was sent to a page with the message that I > cut and pasted below. > If the goofballs at RCU didn't have the courtesy to fix this before putting > up the "new, improved" system, then I have no time for their crap anymore. > I'm gone to
> Goodbye RCU! > And by the way, I don't use any kind of firewall, and I'm not EVEN going to > lower the security and cookie settings that I have been using all along. And > if I WERE using a firewall, I sure wouldn't disable it. Not for these > clowns. > > "FIREWALL ISSUE!! > YOUR ANSWER > We know that many of you use either Norton or other firewall software. We > are investigating this, but pending a resolution, here's what you can do: > > We do not have any pop up ads, worms, or other nasty crap that other sites > do. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN while on our site to disrupt your computer. We use > no executable programs or java. Just javascript and html. > > 1. Some programs may allow you to selectively lower security AND accept > cookies at a particular site. If your program does, try that FIRST. > > 2. Disable the firewall temporarily while in the forums. At the very least, > enable cookies from our site. > > If you discover a clever way around this, please let us know by filling in > the contact form below! You will be rewarded with a Platinum Membership and > a one-year subscription to the R/C magazine of your choice. "
Reply to
Chris W

I use a medium cookie setting that blocks 3rd party cookies but not 1rst party cookies. If you know what 3rd party cookies are, you'd know that they are of absolutely no value to yourself, but only to internet advertisers in order to take advantage of you to your detriment. I have had no problems at all with my present cookie settings and I'm not about to change them just so jerks from RCU can start better monitoring me in order to shove more advertising down my throat. Does that help you to understand more clearly what I was talking about?

Reply to
MJC

I had that happen last night when I clicked on some spot to reply or edit a message. I am fairly sure that the mouse pointer was not where I thought it was because when I logged back on, there was no problem.

FROM ANOTHER THREAD!!

O.K. folks, there IS a way around the FW problem. Write your messages and just before you push the send (or is it 'ok'?) button, toggle your FW off. Just after sending your message toggle your FW back on. That keeps your 'pants' down the least amount of time

**************************************************************************** ********************************* What *I* have begun doing is writing my responses in a blank e-mail . That gives me spell checker capabilities (and some have noted that I DO need that! :>)) and a place to store the message if I get dumped into the error message. When I get the error message, I close it (the message) and restart the reply process and recopy my reply from that blank e-mail. Then I take the action I have proven works.

I hope this helps some out.

**************************************************************************** *********************************** I suspect all reasonable folks would have expected some problems but I doubt that many of the 'beta testers' ever sent a message on the beta site. That would have shown the problem. Now they are scrambling to fix it and other foul ups. I think that the RCU guys are trying to fix too many things at once since I have personally tested multiple times and the FW thing seems to toggle between broken and fixed.

Give them a break I don't think greed made it happen. That is MY opinion but I could be wrong!

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Pretty bold statement for RCU to make. Any real Sys Admin worth his salt knows better than to invite trouble like this. I'm sure some hacker somewhere is warming up his toys over this. In the meantime, I for one will avoid what is without a doubt a targeted site.

Reply to
Fly Higher

A co-worker of mine dropped his trou for a similar moment. He's rebuilding his machine now after that worm did a number on him. Seems his firewall was the only thing protecting him. Until he turned it off for that moment that is.

Reply to
Fly Higher

The suggestions made to get around this are not good ideas!!! Anyone with a decent firewall will attest to the number of port scand and hack attempts made on their systems every minute they are on. In the last 10 minutes, Outpost stopped 17 blocked netbios attempts.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Paul, I am running the latest Norton System Works and keep it updated. So this did work for me and was backed up by some spybot killer software. However, I also have to admit that I AM dial up and I assume you are cable/DSL.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Yep, I am 1gig DSL. Even dialups can get hacked. It just isn't safe to be connected without protection!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Who sells 1 gig DSL? I want it because I only have 750K.

Reply to
Mike Grey

Get cable. One day a couple weeks ago, I hit 2.1kbs on a download! Usually goes around 1.2 - 1.4, or as fast as the site will feed it.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Mike,

Earthlink.net. I selected 1.5gig dl, 384k ul. Recently they sent me an offer to upgrade to 3.0 gig dl, but the price was too steep for me.

Regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston
1.5 MEG is all he gets, too. There is no 1.5 GIG dsl. Recently, they sent him an offer to upgrade to 3 MEG dsl, as there is no 3 GIG dsl.

Kev

| > Earthlink.net. I selected 1.5gig dl, 384k ul. Recently they sent me an | offer | > to upgrade to 3.0 gig dl, but the price was too steep for me.

Reply to
Kevin M
1.5 gig huh? So, the downloads are a million or so times faster than the uploads? Where do I get my hands on 1.5 gig DSL? All we get here on earth is DSL is the MEG range... :)
Reply to
Jeremy D. Grotte

R/C Flying Network is a good place.It's just small and we need more people.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Forgot something.

RC Flying Net is set up exactly as RCU was before they screwed it up. Thanx

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Jeremy,

I stand corrected. No doubt it was a senior moment.

Reply to
Herb Winston

ehhhh Kevin, I think they mean 3 gig download limit - that is a quantity, not a speed.

David

Reply to
David

I'm still having junior moments...can't wait for those seen-yer moments though :) JDG

Reply to
Jeremy D. Grotte

Oh.. that's a reasonable precaution. I thought you were disabling "ALL" cookies. I wonder why RCU thinks they "need" to use cookies like that?